Locator Style for Apt or Units

03-21-2011 11:34 AM
DaleSimper
New Contributor III
I was wondering if anyone has an ArcGIS 10 locator style file that will geocode house addresses with Apt or Unit #'s.  I have gone through Appendix G of the Customizing Locators document, which is suppose to allow this, but still after customizing my style file as the document instructs I'm not able to geocode Apt or unit #'s.  So I was wondering if anyone has had any success in customizing a style file to allow this and are willing to share.  Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
48 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi

Please try the attached style.

Regards
0 Kudos
DaleSimper
New Contributor III
That works great, thanks a lot Bruce.
0 Kudos
DaleSimper
New Contributor III
Bruce, thanks again for the style file.  I've built a locator from it and it works great for addresses with a Unit Number, but I've noticed that when I geocode an address that doesn't have a unit number it still keeps the unit separator #, (ie 100 E 200 N #).  So I was wondering is there a way to have it keep the separator when there is a unit number and to not have it when there isn't a unit number?  I have a 9.3 style file that does this so I'm assuming it's possible with 10 too.  Thanks again.
0 Kudos
TracyGarrison
New Contributor III
Hi

Please try the attached style.

Regards

Bruce

This locator template appears to work but if you try to geocode in batch then all apartments at one address will match with a tie (if ties are allowed) at one of the address points at random.  So if you have 3 points at one Address:

100 W Oak St, Apt 1, City, State
100 W Oak St, Apt 2, City, State
100 W Oak St, Apt 3, City, State

If you review for re-match and filter on the ties and select the 100 W Oak St, Apt 1, City, State record and view Candidates you will see all three addresses listed above with scores of 100 each as candidates.  So it appears as thought the locator template is not adjusting the score based on the unit number?

The white paper "Customizing Locators in ArcGIS 10" needs a lot more imbelishing to help us understand how to actually "customize" the locator.  This white paper describes the "theory of customizing the locator".  I was excited to see the Appendix areas especially Appendix "G" but again, There was not enough information contained within the appendix to actually perform the customization.  A tutorial on "How to incorporate Apartment or Unit number into a Locator template" would be very helpful.  Also a Locator Template filled with Comments to help those of us that want to modify the locator.  Something like "Modify the values below to adjust the score values associated with the address components".

Thanks for your help

Tracy
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
I have attached a locator style that fixes the issues that you are seeing.
0 Kudos
BillRose
New Contributor III
Is there any plan to roll a unit locator style such as those posted here into the core product? We need to build something similar but I am not keen on using something that is not officially supported.
0 Kudos
DanMcCoy
Occasional Contributor III
Is there any plan to roll a unit locator style such as those posted here into the core product? We need to build something similar but I am not keen on using something that is not officially supported.

You can vote for the idea to increase the chance of ESRI considering it...
http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=08730000000by67
0 Kudos
DarrochKaye
Occasional Contributor
I have attached a locator style that fixes the issues that you are seeing.

I am still seeing the # marks as described above when using the second file provided. Do I need a service pack to sort this? I'm currently not running any service parks on ArcGIS 10 Desktop.

Thanks,
DK
0 Kudos
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III
I have been using this locator style for a while now, but I have run into a problem when a hyphen seperates a building and unit number.  For example, in my reference data I have the unit numbers in the format of #6A (building 6 unit A), but the table I am trying to match uses a hyphen like #6-A.  The score is dropped to 56.34 and and any unit with the same building number gets the same score (#6A and #6B etc get the same 56.34 score).  What do I need to modify to get #6-A to match #6A without a score penalty?

Thanks
Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos