Can't see cached base map in Windows mobile app

05-02-2011 04:04 PM
MikeHargreaves
New Contributor III
I created a cached service and was able to bring it into a project in the Mobile Project Center, but when I go to open the project in the Windows App, it said that there was no data, and that I needed to download it - but only the dynamic layers were there.  I left the cache on our ArcGIS Server, since folks will have access to our network when they are loading projects.  Do caches need to be copied over to the mobile devices manually?  When does it make sense to use the "Create Mobile Map" tool?  I was thinking that this is used if you are not deploying from a server, but maybe I'm wrong?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AnthonyFarndon
Occasional Contributor
Hi

If I understand you correctly, I think you are trying to get a tile cache map export onto the device?

1) create a tile cache map service and export it using server caching tools
2) In mobile project center add a basemap cache type, navigate to the above cache
3) Place that exported cache onto the device along with the project files etc

Note: unfortunately both the WindowsMobile and Windows versions of the mobile app require the path to the basemap cache to be specifically set in the amp file.

Open up the project .amp file in notepad, find the xml entry for the basemap cache near to the bottom, e.g.

<TileCacheMapLayer name="MYBasemap" cacheDirectory="MyBasemap" visible="True" />

Edit the cacheDirectory with the full path, e.g.

<TileCacheMapLayer name="MYBasemap" cacheDirectory="\My Documents\ArcGIS Mobile\MyProject1\MyBasemap" visible="True" />
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
I am some difficulties with TileCacheMaps, with both Raster and Vector Maps.

I have one mxd that contains only Vector data.
All of the vector data is located in the SDE.
In ArcCatalog I publish the mxd as a Service.
In ArcMap I run the Create Map Server Cache tool and input all the neccessary information.
In ArcMap I run the Manage Map Server Cache Tiles and input all the necessary information.
In ArcCatalog I can click on the Service I created from the mxd and see all the layers.
In a new ArcMap document I can load the TileCache just fine.

When I try to load the vector tilecache in Mobile Project Center it Crashes.

The second problem is Raster images and creating a tile cache from it..
I follow the exact same steps as above, however when I click on the service in ArcCatalog or load the tilecache in ArcMap I don't see anything.

I can't seem to figure out how to make a tile cache of a small raster image that has already been properly georeferenced.

Kindly advise.

Thanks,

Akhil P.
0 Kudos
HenrikSvenningsen
Occasional Contributor
Hi tony.farndon

Thoose lines you mention is not in my amp file ???

The Server Map Cache works in project center but not in ArcMobile and they are copyied to the tablet.
0 Kudos
HenrikSvenningsen
Occasional Contributor
Found the problem myself.

If your PC has ArcGis Project Center to open up the .wmpk file by default, they file will work approx. 80%, but things wiil be missing.

Set the PC to open the .wmpk with ArcMobile and it will ask you where you will install the package, but it will install with a failure (you have to accept that...i think its a ESRI thing).

Then you copy your CACHE folder into the "installed" folder (called with your given name and a P_ in front)
Then you have to open up the "installed" .amp and change like mentioned above.

Set ArcMobile setting to look in your TOP-folder...restart....and now it will find your project and your basemaps.

ESRI????.....it this the BEST you can do ????
0 Kudos
MartinCopping
Esri Contributor
Please refer to this document for more details on working with a Tile Cache in ArcGIS for Windows Mobile (ArcGIS Mobile): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2181249/How%20To%20Create%20%26%20Use%20A%20Tile%20Cache.pdf
Martin Copping
Product Manager, ArcGIS Online - Dashboards
0 Kudos