Address Error Checking

05-09-2011 03:53 PM
CharlesBuzzard
New Contributor II
In ArcInfo Workstation there is a tool called AddressErrors which checks a street layer with address attributes for a collection of possible errors.  This tool generates an info table that can be related back to the street layer and helps identfy issues that can cause problems during geocoding.  Errors like address range overlaps, even/odd side flips, segment direction flips and a few other errors are identified.

For those ArcGIS users that support 911 dispatch centers, these tools are a huge help.  The ESRI Seattle Office wrote a python script that could to do similar error checking, but it was very slow and could only process about 5000 segments at a time.

If you need similar tools or think that it could be helpful, please add to this thread.  We really need ESRI to write this with ArcObjects and optimize it for production sized datasets.
Tags (2)
20 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I am using 9.3.1; is this a tool in 10.x?  What 'brand' CAD are you using?  The two that I use (in different 9-1-1 centers) both provide utilities that check for address attribute errors.

It would be a great tool for anyone who does a lot of geocoding.

[Edited moments after initial post]  Just read your other post; I misunderstood that this was an older ArcInfo tool.  So, absolutely, an ArcMap version of the tool would be great.  Seems to me there is a users 'wish-list' forum or blog somewhere in ESRI-cyberland that accepts suggestions like this
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
SuhanLi
New Contributor

Hi Bruce,

The link does not exist anymore. Is it possible that you provide the new link?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Suhan

The scripted tool I made stopped working at some release and I didn't find out what the problem is.

I suggest you convert this discussion to an idea and get some votes on it.  Kory Kramer‌ is there an existing idea?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is there any chance you could resurrect this script for a modern version of ArcMap?

0 Kudos
SuhanLi
New Contributor

+1

Regards,

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

I don't think I can realistically get back to it.  This thread has gone to the right dev folks today so it will be discussed, but the first thing that will come up is the question is street address range geocoding going to be done into the future?  We see data going point-based as it not only geocodes with more precision, it natively validates an address (a house/premise actually exists).

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I assume the tool is written in python? Is there a way to tease that out of the tool box?

edited to add; just download it, and extract the zip file someh were.  Open the tool box in ArcCatalog, right click on the script tool itself and the python code is revealed...

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

This discussion took place 8 years ago and I have hard time remembering what I had for dinner last night (I think it was a pesto pasta thing my lovely wife whipped up.  Or was that the night before?).  At any rate, your might want to start a new thread, describe your needs and see what responses you get.  Clearly, in the past 8 years, there have been a lot of discoveries made.

0 Kudos