This content has been marked as final. Show 15 replies
I get the same error...did you ever find out what the issue was?
I'm experiencing the same problem; I wish I had an answer, but unfortunately do not. I was able to compress a 25MB Map Package earlier, but I'm getting this exact error when I try to compress 18 MB worth of shapefiles, so I'm not sure if it has anything to do with size so much as content.
The only answer I am able to come up with is the either the bandwidth of the network or the processing speed of the server is what is preventing the package from being created. When I transferred everything to my local hard drive I was able to create the map package without errors. Granted, it still took an hour, but when I came in the next morning, it was all ready to go. The process I took was as follows:
1 - transfer all source files to my C drive and create the map
2 - publish the map locally using the publisher tool bar
3 - create data package locally using the publisher tool bar
4 - copy the completed data package from my C drive to the network for public use
Even though the process works, it is not truly a viable option since viewing the data package across the network is pretty slow (I am assuming due to the same issues). If I come up with anything else, I will post it.
My issue seemed to be one particular annotation layer. I had successfully packaged anno previously but this particular layer caused it to crash. Once I removed that layer from my package it worked just fine. Not sure if it was due to size (though it didn't seem to be that large).
I am getting the same error in desktop 10.0 when creating a map package from a single line feature class in a file geodatabase on my local machine. There is no description as to what caused the error.
Thanks for any ideas,
Essentially it is an unreliable tool: I hope they fix this FAIL in 10.1, or at least have a better error message.
I just tried it in 10.1 beta. I did not get an error and I could import it into another map document. It works OK except the labeling was not what I expected.
I had to switch computers to get this to work. Could it be...
Sofware version?... Both computers running same operating system (Windows XP, SP3) and same version of ArcGIS (v. 10, sp2).
Software conflicts?... I made sure all other applications were closed on both machines so that I was (relatively) sure it wasn't a conflict with some other program, or that other programs were hogging system resources.
Hardware?... One machine isn't terribly more beefy than the other: the machine on which I get the error is a laptop and has a slower processor (2.2 GHz duo core) but more RAM (2GB); the machine on which it works is a desktop with a faster processor (2.6GHz duo core) but less RAM (1GB).
Network?... The desktop could do it over the network but the laptop could not (it didn't make a difference when I copied the layer over to the laptop's hard disk).
File format?... It didn't make a difference for the laptop if the layer was a feature class (file geodb) or shapefile.
Any ideas, ESRI?
My error isn't with the creation of the .mpk but rather with it opening to a blank .mxd. It seems that the layout is not preserved and neither is the data present in the TOC. It worked last week on a different .mxd with different data. I've tried this batch on multiple computers and it seems to fail every time. Must be something with the data types?
Hi Lisa and others
I don't know if this is of any help, but I was having problems with creating a "Compressed and Locked File Geodatabase" during Data Packaging. ArcGIS would just close down on me at 99% of the process complete. I run ArcGIS 10 on a quad core (Intel I5) 32 bit system with 3GB Ram. I tried all sorts of options with no luck until I unchecked/cleared the "Only include map layers with features present in the data frame extent" in the Options box under the General tab of the Data Packaging GUI. Then it worked like a dream:)
All the best
Does anybody know what the limitations are for creating a map package in ArcMap 10? Sometimes it works but more often it doesn't. I get the error when it is compressing the package. The exact error is, "An error occurred while compressing the package." I feel like it has something to do with the amount of data I am asking it to compress but I am not sure. Does it have anything to do with my desktop memory??
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to make ArcReader a viable solution for non-users.
I created a blank map and was not even able to save that one. I avoided long path names, special caracters, blank spaces in names.
Hopefully this tool will be fixed in 10.1.
I'm happy to report that the problem I was having reading .mpk's on a virtual machine installation of Arc has been fixed with the SP3 for Desktop update. I don't know if that will fix the problems mentioned by others in this thread but it's worth a shot.
Emory & Henry College
The only way I can get this to work is to re-boot after each time I make a layer package. It must be a bug, or a feature! A file is not getting closed properly or something.
I just took the same error message and i solved it with a different way..i don't know the problem is the same but i had tried to save it to the C driver directly and it's required administrator permission but it doesn't ask you:) so if you create your package into a folder in C driver it can work maybe...i did it and it worked..i hope it can help..
I have the same problem. Really annoying not to know where to start fixing; ESRI please do something about the error message.