ArcPad/ArcGIS 10 ignores Definition Query??

07-13-2011 02:26 PM
nev
by
New Contributor III
Is this a bug or is it some problem at my end? ArcGIS10 build 2800 ArcPad 10 SP2, ticking the "only get features in the definition query" is ignored.
Whatever I try, checking out data to arcpad gets all features, not just those defined by the definition query.  I have been running this process successfully in previous versions for years.

I have tried different data, tried the checkout from data manager toolbar and tried configure project for geoprocessing.  Can someone just confirm that this feature does actually work in v10?

Thanks
Mick
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
TimHopper
Occasional Contributor III
I just tested this and it seems to work just fine.  I set a definition query in ArcMap which resulted in 225 out of 1000 features to display.  Only these 225 features were exported to ArcPad.

I'm running ArcGIS Desktop 10 SP2 (build 3200) and ArcPad 10.0.2.

I tested by checking out axf (disconnected editing), axf (background), and shapefile.  All worked as expected.

You say you've tried different data, but I would recommend creating a brand new geodatabase and feature class.  Create a few features which you can set a def query on.  Then check out and see what happens.

Out of curiosity, do you have multiple instances of the same feature class in your map document?  As in, the same feature class in the map several times but symbolized in different ways?
0 Kudos
nev
by
New Contributor III
Thanks Tim,

I have tried creating a new file GDB with a new featureclass, tried old personal (.mdb) GDB's, tried upgrading them to current version, tried having the data in a feature dataset and not in one, tried someone elses computer, have re-installed arcgis and arcpad.
Tried text based definition query, number based def query, data on local drive, data on network drive, .mxd with only 1 layer in it then tried all these things again.  No joy, every time it ignores the definition query and exports the whole lot.

I'm very over it.  One thing left to try.  I'll try and get hold of Desktop SP2.
0 Kudos
nev
by
New Contributor III
Tim,
I think I see what is happening.  Maybe not a bug, but just a stupid new way arcpad does things.

When you had a look at what was checked out did you just look at an arcpad map?  Take the .axf into studio and show data on the table, all the data is in there? OR do a checkout with a def query and then a checkout without a def query and have a look at the file sizes.....the same?? 
Do a find in arcpad on that layer and serch for features that should not have been checked out, are they all there?

All the data does go out, all it does is put a query in the .axf so it only displays what is in the def query.  It should, as it used to, and as it says in the dialog "Only get features specified in the layer's definition query" not "get everything and just hide what is not in the definition query"

Surely this is not by design? It is just bad in so many ways.
0 Kudos
wilfredwaters
New Contributor III

Out of curiosity, do you have multiple instances of the same feature class in your map document?  As in, the same feature class in the map several times but symbolized in different ways?

I am trying to export layers that are stored in a SDE. There are multiple instances of the same layer that has different definition queries. When using the Get Data for Arcpad wizard, the option to honour the layers' definition queries is greyed out ONLY when I specify .axf as the output. It is fine when .shp is specified, however the operation fails - mentioning all of the duplicate layers in the error log.

Do you know a way around this? I'm thinking I may just have to run the wizard on these layers (read def queries) from separate .mxd files.

Thanks, Wil
0 Kudos
wilfredwaters
New Contributor III

I also found that the option "only get features specified in layer's definition query" is greyed out when the source is a shapefile that has a definition query. This is only when I am requesting that the Get Data For Arcpad wizard exports the data to .axf file.

This is inconvenient, more than anything, as it is nice to have it all packaged up into one .axf than having to first export to separate .shp files to reflect the definition queries, then put them all in a .axf.

Well, that's the work around I'm thinking of. Comments welcome!

Wil
0 Kudos
wilfredwaters
New Contributor III

Last post: I have now found that a .axf is capable of understanding definition queries (it's called a 'filter' in the properties of a .axf layer in arcpad). The filter, however, does not appear to work correctly. For example, when zoomed to the full extent of the data, the filter seems to remove records that I have queried out. Then when I zoom in though, those records (pipelines in this case) reappear, along with the lines that I wanted displayed. Moreover, the filter appears to be working at the scale that the 'Output data for arcpad' wizard was run (i.e. I had the map zoomed out to the entire field so I could output all data from the current extent), but when zooming in further, the filter stops working.
0 Kudos
nev
by
New Contributor III
My issue has now been confirmed as a bug in Service Pack 2.
0 Kudos
nev
by
New Contributor III
This bug still exists in SP3.  a real shame because there is another bug fix in SP3 I was really waiting for.
0 Kudos
BartPouteau
Occasional Contributor
I just installed SP5 and the issue still exists.  Anybody got a NIM number for this one so that we can track it's progress?
0 Kudos