2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2011 6:21 AM by bemmelvb

feature to raster ArcGIS10.0 SP2 vs Arcview GIS 3.3a

bemmelvb
      Hello,

Can somebody please explain why a feature (polygon-shape) to raster conversion of 3.1 million features does work in Arcview GIS 3.3a and not in ArcGIS10.0 SP2?

In Arcview GIS 3.3a it takes about 15 minutes, in ArcGIS 10.0 (with the Feature to Raster option or Polygon to Raster option) it will crash after 7 hours with a 9999-error code.

The total file size is 2.55 GB (of which 2.1 GB is by the dbf-file). I work for ArcView 3.3a with a Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP3, 3.4 GHZ CPU and 2.0 GB of RAM. For ArcGIS I work with Windows server 2008.

How is it possible a software package of almost 10 years old is more reliable and faster for these kind of operations? Please explain. Thanks in advance.

Greetings
      Bas
        • Re: feature to raster ArcGIS10.0 SP2 vs Arcview GIS 3.3a
          Tift_Tax
          I have had a similar experience when joining tables - 3.3 will work when 9.3.1 will not.

Best explanation I have heard from tech support is that 3.3 is "looser" regarding data quality/standards. Also, it's leaner and meaner than 9x or 10.
          • Re: feature to raster ArcGIS10.0 SP2 vs Arcview GIS 3.3a
            bemmelvb
            Thanks Tim for you answer.

Problem is a 9999-error code doesn't say very much, almost a needle in a haystack. My guess it's running out of memory. Maybe its runs on 64 bits computer with more memory, although I don't think this is a real solution offcourse.  Also clipping the dataset in 2 or 3 parts to solve the problem is not a real solution (too much processing and so on).

We have also used the software "Manifold" which can handle the job quite easy.
            Why are these kind of basic GIS-processing steps on large datasets not able in ArcGIS 10.0?

Greetings
            Bas