ArcGIS Online viewer: 'change symbols' not available for selection

08-24-2011 08:39 AM
MikeBell
New Contributor III
I created a simple map in ArcGIS Online viewer. I added a layer from our AGS and then went to re-symbolise but the 'change symbols' window is not available when I click the arrow. Is this something to do with the type of AGS service I'm using?

Apologies in advance - I'm brand new to most of this so may have missed a step.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The Change Symbol option is not available for layers based on ArcGIS Server because the symbology is defined by the map that the service is created from.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MikeBell
New Contributor III
I created a simple map in ArcGIS Online viewer. I added a layer from our AGS and then went to re-symbolise but the 'change symbols' window is not available when I click the arrow. Is this something to do with the type of AGS service I'm using?

Apologies in advance - I'm brand new to most of this so may have missed a step.

Thanks - I suspected that may be the case but couldn't find an explicit mention in the help.

Mike
0 Kudos
shreyesshiv
New Contributor III
The Change Symbol option is not available for layers based on ArcGIS Server because the symbology is defined by the map that the service is created from.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike in this case is there any documentation on what kind of services symbology can be defined, if i want to create a thematic then what kind of service has to published?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Things have changes a bit over the last 2 years when this thread was started.

• You can publish a feature service (hosted or ArcGIS Server) which allows symbology changes.

• A dynamic map service running on ArcGIS Server allows symbology changes

• A static map service, when accessing individual layers, allows symbology changes. In this case, you would specify the URL down to the layer index when adding to a web map (www.xxx.com/arcgis/rest/services/someservice/0).

• Uploaded Shapefiles, CSV and GPX files.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
LukeGentry
New Contributor
adams_c84, I have the exact same symptoms. I can create a map service that allows for "change symbols" and I have found hosted feature services that allow for this, but feature services that I create on our "on premise" feature services do not present users with the "Change Symbols" option when the layer is accessed in the web map viewer. Were you able to resolve your issues?

If you have any resolution to share, it would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
AimeeMandeville
New Contributor II
You need to select "disable editing" when you are working with the feature service in the web map then the option to "Change Symbols" becomes available.

Hope this helps,

Aimee Mandeville, GISP
LelandSnyder
New Contributor II

Can someone please explain to me why this is nowhere to be found in any documentation? I've been banging my head on this one for quite some time. If there is a note in documentation, can someone point it out?

Can I disable editing...change symbols...and then enable editing again? Or is this not possible since I will be breaking the feature template published with the service?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks Aimee,

For more information about changing symbology on specific services, check out the following documentation.http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/change-symbols.htm

0 Kudos
LelandSnyder
New Contributor II

Kelly, thanks for supplying the AGOL resource link.

0 Kudos