Data Driven Pages- labeling neighbor tiles problem

09-08-2011 07:49 AM
JohnHangen
New Contributor II
Hello,
My fire department has a robust set of mapping products (run books for the trucks) that was constructed and maintained with the old Mapbook technology.   We have recently upgraded to Arc 10 and are having significant problems with Data Driven pages, particularly labeling neighbor tiles.  The key problem is that the index grid is not orientated to grid north, so when I use the Calculate Adjacent Fields tool, it bombs out.  The fire department is adamant that they need neighboring tiles labeled, and I agree with this.   They are also extremely reluctant to abandon the grid they are using because the map book is exactly how they want it, and there are other derivate products from the present grid.   I also suspect, but have not confirmed that, while they look similar, the tiles might not be exactly the same size.    Does anyone know of any workarounds to getting Data Driven pages to label neighboring tiles that does not involve the Calculate Adjacent Fields tool?

Thank you,
John
0 Kudos
9 Replies
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
We made signigicant improvements to the Calculate Adjacent Fields tool.  Prior to the recent fixes it required polygons to be perfect 4-sided/4-vertex features.  The new updates are much less restrictive.

The new fixes will be added to SP3.

If you need something immediately, download a Python sample that was written to get past the restrictive limits.

http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/geoprocessing/details?entryID=3B67F638-1422-2418-A00C-D271D...

Jeff
0 Kudos
CarmaGrime
New Contributor
I have installed SP3 for ArcGis 10 and am trying to create DD Pages. The grid index gets created covering my municiple water system. When I calculate adjacent fields, some of the index grids disappear. And the program will not allow me to label adjacent pages using the dynamic text for data driven page numbers. I managed to make it work on a sample page before I installed SP3.
0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
Can you please provide me with a map package so I can test your scenario?

Remove layers from the MXD that are not necessary.  Then go to File --> CreateMap Package.

Send it to jbarrette@esri.com

Thanks,
Jeff
0 Kudos
MichaelRivera
Occasional Contributor II
I have installed SP3 for ArcGis 10 and am trying to create DD Pages. The grid index gets created covering my municiple water system. When I calculate adjacent fields, some of the index grids disappear. And the program will not allow me to label adjacent pages using the dynamic text for data driven page numbers. I managed to make it work on a sample page before I installed SP3.

I'm getting the same kind of problem. When I use calculate adjacent fields some of my index grids disappear. There are the same number of polygons as before, but not sure what is happening to the grid.
0 Kudos
DavidWatkins
Esri Contributor
What type of data are you using for your index features?  Are you using a shapefile?

Thanks,
David
0 Kudos
MichaelRivera
Occasional Contributor II
What type of data are you using for your index features?  Are you using a shapefile?

Thanks,
David

Yes I'm using a shapefile and sent the map package to jbarrette@esri.com
0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
There is a known issue with calculating adjacent fields on shapefiles.  The plan is to address this issue with SP4.  In the meantime, try using a fGDB FC or the calculate adjacent fields sample on the resource center.

Jeff
0 Kudos
JoelCalhoun
New Contributor III
If anyone wants a simple tutorial showing how to label your adjacent tiles in Data Driven Pages without going through the hassle of adding additional attributes to your index grid I suggest checking out my post at the bottom of this linked thread: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/44612-Calculate-Adjacent-Fields?p=153853#post153853

If you have any questions, just reply to this forum post.

Joel
0 Kudos
CherieMoritz
New Contributor
Thanks, Joel.  Your method was great.
Cherie
0 Kudos