fuzzy membership error

09-26-2011 11:17 AM
JamieKass
Occasional Contributor
When you load Fuzzy Membership into ModelBuilder and Make Variable: From Parameter for Membership Type, the tool gives a 999999 error. Anyone else get this?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JamieKass
Occasional Contributor
This problem is still occurring, and I can't find a solution. This leads me to believe it is a bug, and it should be addressed if it is intended for anyone to make Fuzzy Membership parameters into model parameters.
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
It is a bug - NIM067950 - that you can reference - http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/role/beta10_1/TklNMDY3OTUw

The issue is resolved at 10.1.  At the moment, there is no workaround.

Hope this helps.

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver
0 Kudos
JamieKass
Occasional Contributor
Thanks a lot, Robert. While I have you, is there any chance that the entire Fuzzy Logic toolset will:

1) Be better explained in the Help section, i.e. the meaning of the Gamma parameter, when one would want to use which Fuzzy Membership / Overlay functions, etc.?
2) Have functionality to enable the user to view, graphically, how changing the parameters for membership will affect the output raster?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Jamie -

I did a quick look into the ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 help system and the pages looked identical to 10.0 help pages so at the moment, no major change in that realm.  I did fine one help page that discusses the various "fuzzy" overlay types but I imagine you've seen this already.  At the top right of each help page is a feedback button that you can write the authoring team.  Perhaps you can use this to ask for additional clarification.

With regard to a parameter change "preview", I'm not aware of any process that could do this other than doing what you're already doing with ModelBuilder.  I did find one related idea on the ArcGIS Ideas page that perhaps may be applicable in your situation.  If so, a vote is always a good thing.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Regards,

Robert
0 Kudos
JamieKass
Occasional Contributor
Yes, I have seen that page, with its supremely unhelpful comments like: "The Fuzzy Product option is not used often." I just wish it was more helpful and had some more real-world examples. I've input my graph visualization idea into the Ideas forum, and hopefully it will bear some fruit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Jamie - last thing - I would encourage you to click the envelope icon on the upper right of the Fuzzy Membership help page and write the documentation team that you'd like a better explanation for this page as well as real-world examples.  If they don't know that folks aren't happy with it, the likelihood of it changing much save for technical details might be small.
0 Kudos
JamieKass
Occasional Contributor
Done and done 😃
0 Kudos
NicholasHunsaker
New Contributor
Nearly 2 years later and using ArcGis 10.1 and getting the same Fuzzy Membership error.  Very frustrating and it appears the original poster's comments weren't addressed.  Furthermore, the reply incorrectly states this issue is fixed in 10.1.  I'm using ArcGis 10.1 with SP1 and getting the same bug reproduced easily.
1) Add a variable for raster datasets as a model parameter (multiple value)
2) Add the "Fuzzy Membership" tool from Spatial Analyst and set the parameter of "Membership Type" with multi-value also (model paramter as well)
3) Save and run selecting "MSSmall" (default) first and "MSLarge", second using any continuous raster

The resulting "fuzzified" output is identical in both scenarios which is contrary to how "Fuzzy Membership"'s "Membership Type" is supposed to work.

Really!  No one cares enough about this Spatial Analyst tool to allow it to be run in batch mode with ModelBuilder.
0 Kudos