How to create a back-up of a file geodatabase in ArcGIS 10

10-14-2011 01:08 AM
RomanTrubka1
New Contributor
Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone has a straight forward method to creating a back-up of a file geodatabase in ArcGIS 10. I'm an intermediate user. I used to use PostgreSQL with the PostGIS extension and in there it's easy - you just right click the database and select "Back-up" and "Compress".

It seems like it should be a simple thing to do but the solution isn't apparent to me in ArcGIS 10 and the help menu isn't living up to its name. I have a lot of work stored on my work computer and I'm starting to worry about losing it. I'd also like to be able to create a back-up so that I could restore it on my laptop if necessary. I'm not sure of the easiest way of doing this.

Thanks in advance,

Roman
0 Kudos
4 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
File geodatabase uses the file system -- Any OS valid backup methodology will suffice, including
right-click 7-Zip - "Add to foo.gdb.zip".  It would be best if you made sure there were no users
at the time of snapshot (so the backup doesn't capture lock files).

- V
0 Kudos
RomanTrubka1
New Contributor
Thanks Vangelo, that sounds easy enough.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Easy to make, but not as easy to restore -- keep in mind that there are limitations on the
ability to restore individual files, so you really need to get the *entire* fileset in one pass
and restore the *entire* fileset if necessary (then copy the contents of a single table
as needed).

- V
0 Kudos
RomanTrubka1
New Contributor
Awesome, thanks again V.

R
0 Kudos