8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2011 9:34 AM by vsfoote

Move Arc from old computer to new

rcdscc
      Hello!

I'm attempting to move an existing install of ArcDesktop 9.3 from an old computer to a new one (same user). I've tried using Windows Easy Transfer and the reports reflect it's been installed, but when I look in Programs, it's not there. Nor will it show up when I'm attempting to open .mxd files on the new system. How do I move it?

Thanks!
        • Re: Move Arc from old computer to new
          johns
          If you just installed it like any new program on the new computer, along with any extensions or scripts, then copied all your templates and styles (where they are stored or should be stored will depend on the operating systems), and of course the local GIS data in the same file paths, would that get you what you want?
            MKennedy-esristaff
            ArcGIS uses a lot of registry entries. At a minimum, you would have to recreate those. Doing a regular install is much more likely to succeed.
              ksjosh82
              When I got a new machine, I just did a regular install on it.  Then you just have to find and move all of the templates and style files etc.  This way I didn't have to worry about registry changes then and really a new install isn't that bad.
                rcdscc
                ArcGIS uses a lot of registry entries. At a minimum, you would have to recreate those. Doing a regular install is much more likely to succeed.

Thank you so much! You've been a great help!
                  rcdscc
                  When I got a new machine, I just did a regular install on it.  Then you just have to find and move all of the templates and style files etc.  This way I didn't have to worry about registry changes then and really a new install isn't that bad.

I'm going to do just that! Thank you!
                    rcdscc

What if there was existing data on the old system? What file extensions would I be looking for?
                      x2ericso
                      I purchased ArcView 9.3.1 and upgraded to 10.0 before my license expired... now my laptop's display will only work connected to HDMI on a TV.  I have a new laptop.

Will I be able to transfer 10.0 to the new laptop?  Suggestions will be appreciated... thanks.
                        vsfoote
                        Eric,

You would be able to do a clean installation onto the new laptop.  Migrating a program like ArcGIS Desktop is tedious at best.

You must however take steps to protect your ESRI license entitlement.

Contact ESRI Customer Service to verify your license type and the status of the Activation/Authorization code you'd been issued in upgrade from 9.x to 10.0.

They should advise you to do so, but with your old laptop connected to internet you may have to open ArcGIS Administrator --> Desktop -->  Deauthorize, to return the license fulfillment to ESRI.  It would then be available to active your new clean installation.

If you have customizations -- templates, styles, add-ins; and any existing ArcMap MXDs you'll want to copy those to the new laptop and adjust ownership for continued use.

Regards,

Stuart