Polygon Vertex labels

10-25-2011 03:26 PM
PeterDavis1
New Contributor
Been searching but probably right under my nose. I need to label the corners or vertices of a polygon with the map projected coordinates. I can see where you can specify the coords and create labels but this means I have had to zoom in to each corner and do it manually. I know, stupid. Should I create a point feature layer or what. cheers
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
PeterDavis1
New Contributor
Hello, anybody home. Is this a possibility. Any help would be appreciated
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Been searching but probably right under my nose. I need to label the corners or vertices of a polygon with the map projected coordinates. I can see where you can specify the coords and create labels but this means I have had to zoom in to each corner and do it manually. I know, stupid. Should I create a point feature layer or what. cheers

If you have ArcInfo you can use the Feature Vertices to Point tool in the Data Management Toolset.  If you do not have that, perhaps the tools at http://www.ian-ko.com/ can be of use for your problem, or else a custom python script perhaps adapted from the code at http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/geoprocessing/details?entryID=C4E10FE5-1422-2418-A06D-33952...  Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
PeterDavis1
New Contributor
Thanks for that-very complicated methods to do a simple task and clunky too-thanks, I'm investigating but may be easier just to do it in MapInfo
cheers
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Thanks for that-very complicated methods to do a simple task and clunky too-thanks, I'm investigating but may be easier just to do it in MapInfo
cheers

You're welcome.  Post a picture if you can get beyond your attitude.  This "simple task" is not well described.
0 Kudos
JosephBuckles2
New Contributor

I stumbled on this thread after searching for a while. I thought I would take the time to answer how to do it.

I'm on 10.3.1 (Advanced) where Maplex has been part of the core product since 10.1

1. Data Frame Properties > General Tab

2. Label Engine: Set it to Maplex Label Engine

3. Layer Properties (Double Click on Layer)

4. Go to Labels Tab

5. Click on Placement Properties

6. Label Position Tab > General Should be Regular Placement > Check Place Label at fixed position within polygon

7. Click on Internal Zones... > Determine where you want the label.

I'm sure ya'll figured this out but I want the next person to stumble upon this to have the info upfront.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Hmmmm, does your method label the polygon or polygon vertices, as requested?

0 Kudos
JosephBuckles2
New Contributor

(I meant to post this in another thread ;-/)  In short yes you could.

Maplex allows you to create label classes. You can have multiple labels on a feature class from the attributes.

The key would be generating the Upper Left, Lower Left, Upper Right, Lower Right coordinates (I see this as working only on square grids and simple polygons)  Then use label classes to create the Upper/Lower Left/Right labels using expressions.

Forgive me while assuming four sided polygons here but I am because the original author used "corner".

If they were complex (more than four sides) I would say their initial idea is correct that they would need to convert vertex to points and label the points.  If it was something constantly modified I'd probably look at creating topologies and feature linked annotation or relationship classes to make updating/management easier.  (He's right its complex for something that should be so simple).  Once I figured out what I needed to do I stopped researching it.

0 Kudos