Converting Tiff to Raster

12-01-2011 09:42 AM
mindaberbeco
New Contributor
I was given a tiff file file from a colleague, but I would like to be able to use this layer for union and other functions.  I would like to therefore convert the file to a raster or shape or anything useful, but all of the typical, expected routes don't seem to be appropriate.  I tried to export, but was only able to export into a grid.  I also tried the "convert to raster" options, but none seemed to work.  Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
A Tiff file is a raster dataset.  Perhaps you want to look in the 'Convert from Raster' area.  It sounds like you want to run Raster to Polygon.  What kind of data is represented in the Tiff?

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
mindaberbeco
New Contributor
A-ha, this is useful to know.  Thanks.  I'll try that now.  The data is representing slope right now as a tiff. 

A Tiff file is a raster dataset.  Perhaps you want to look in the 'Convert from Raster' area.  It sounds like you want to run Raster to Polygon.  What kind of data is represented in the Tiff?

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
mindaberbeco
New Contributor
Hmm, just gave this a try and it did not work for some reason.  Is there a reason why the program would not recognize a tiff as a raster file?

Thanks!

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
The math involved with calculating Slope usually results in floating point rasters. i.e. 32 bit float.  The conversion tools only accept Integer values.  You can run the Int tool to truncate the values or you could reclasssify your slope map into integer values, then do the conversion to polygon.

Regards,
Eric
BuckleLEE
New Contributor
DO you wanna convert tiff to raster image?
0 Kudos
HILLARYHALL
New Contributor II
DO you wanna convert tiff to raster image?

Can you be specfic on your tiff to raster images converter? Such as the detailed converting steps and guides.