Problem adding csv files

01-02-2012 12:48 AM
Carlotade_Benito
New Contributor
Hi!

I'm having problems adding .csv files: arcgis tells me they seem not to have coordinate points although they have them. As far as I can see, fieldnames are correct. I'm wondering if there's a problem with the coordinates format, they look like this:
Lat                  Long
42.565.282 -2.633.405
42.849.773 -2.543.154

Can you help me?? Thanks so much!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Carlotade_Benito
New Contributor
I managed to solve it, thanks!
0 Kudos
ToddShoemake
New Contributor
I am curious how you resolved your issue. I had a csv file with lat, long columns added to a map and it worked just fine a few weeks ago. After adding a few new additional columns to my csv file and updating my map, it no longer works. I can't figure out what the culprit is.  Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
DarisPiper
New Contributor
I am having a similiar issue with UTM coordinates. The Easting column coordinates are not being translated. How did you fix it?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
@lightningtodd - Do you have any spaces in your column names? Try removing them.

@piperdaris - are you saying that your coordinates are in UTM? They need to be lat/long decimal degrees.

Mike
0 Kudos
BrettAdie1
New Contributor
Good Day

I have also experienced an issue adding a .csv file to a map. In my case i exported water quality monitoring point data using a standard format. I broke the data exported into different catagories namely River, Water Body, Discharge Accidents, Water Use Sites and Transfer features. I then imported most of the files into ArcGIS online, however the Transfer feature data file gave me problems. First there was an error that stated that there was no coordinate data, then if i made any change to the transfer feature .csv i then got an error stating that the file could not be added as several fields were duplicates. I eventually figured out that ArcGIS online was reading the Column headers as duplicate fields, once i modified the headers then the file imported correctly. Does anyone have an idea why i would only get this problem for the one import (remember all the .csv's had the same format and column headers).   

Brett
0 Kudos
lindsayc
New Contributor III

I was wondering if Brett's issue could be revisited. I am having the same problem. I downloaded my story map tour as a csv, changed the image locations, changed the headings to fit the template and reloaded it, but I am also getting the same error- Duplicate field names are not allowed. This is my csv.

0 Kudos