Label in polygon center

01-25-2012 08:55 AM
MattBull
New Contributor II
I'm working with a township grid, and I want to label each polygonin the grid in the center and only in the center, regardless of how much of the polygon is visible in the data frame. I'm sure there is a simple way of doing it with the labelling properties, but I can't figure out how to do it. All the maps I've made have small portions of a township visible along the edge of the data frame and ArcMap labels that small portion. It doesn't look very good and doesn't conform to the mapping standards I'm currently working with.

Anyone have any ideas of how to do this?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JonMorris
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Matthew,

You need to use the 'Fixed position within polygon' option (assuming you are not placing curved labels - it is only available for horizontal or straight). Set the center zone to priority 1, and all other zones to zero. Then labels will only place if the center of the polygon is within the visible extent. As you are labeling grid squares, this should work ok -  the label will go unplaced if the geometric center of the polygon is outside the polygon bounds (e.g. Florida).
0 Kudos
MattBull
New Contributor II
Excellent Jon, that worked perfectly. I knew there had to be an easy way to do it, seems I didn't dig quite deep enough in the labelling properties.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
JonMorris
Occasional Contributor II
No problem. Don't forget to mark the post as answered if you are happy 🙂
0 Kudos
DanAskers
New Contributor

FYI - this is the correct answer but it does only work as long as there is no rotation angle set on the data frame. As soon as anything other than 0 is set then the settings seem to be over-ridden.

0 Kudos
SamuelTroth
New Contributor III

Hey Dan, just wondering if you could add further explanation of the issue you're seeing? In my testing the label remains in the centre of the polygon regardless of the data frame rotation angle.

0 Kudos