How to change type of numbers after creating fields in attribute table

02-08-2012 05:26 AM
audraydelcamp
New Contributor
Hi!

I created a table with several fields. Is it possible to change the type of number, i.e. from short integer to long integer once the field is created?! I cannot find how and where is the option to change it...
thanks in advance!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Hi!

I created a table with several fields. Is it possible to change the type of number, i.e. from short integer to long integer once the field is created?! I cannot find how and where is the option to change it...
thanks in advance!

You can't.  (Vote for the most popular idea to do this on the Ideas site here.)  You have to create a new field and calculate over the old field values into it (best appraoch if ObjectID values cannot change) or create a new feature class, import the old schema, make the change prior to saving it, and load the data from the old feature class.
0 Kudos
audraydelcamp
New Contributor
You can't.  (Vote for the most popular idea to do this on the Ideas site here.)  You have to create a new field and calculate over the old field values into it (best appraoch if ObjectID values cannot change) or create a new feature class, import the old schema, make the change prior to saving it, and load the data from the old feature class.

ok, thanks!
0 Kudos