Can't select multiple rows in a field with mouse or shift

02-10-2012 06:08 AM
AndrewWiseman
New Contributor III
Maybe I am being daft, but I am unable to select more than one record in a table using my mouse. In 9.3 and previous versions, I could click and drag and select however many records I wanted or use the shift key to select multiple records. Now it won't let me do either one. A coworker is having the same problem, what's the deal? I know I can use "Select by Attributes" but sometimes I know exactly what I want to select or the query would be too complicated.

Edit: Of course, that should be "Can't select multiple rows in a TABLE..."
Tags (2)
23 Replies
TerrySilveus
Occasional Contributor III
Maybe I am being daft, but I am unable to select more than one record in a table using my mouse. In 9.3 and previous versions, I could click and drag and select however many records I wanted or use the shift key to select multiple records. Now it won't let me do either one. A coworker is having the same problem, what's the deal? I know I can use "Select by Attributes" but sometimes I know exactly what I want to select or the query would be too complicated.

Edit: Of course, that should be "multiple rows in a TABLE..."

You should be able to select multiple rows using shift or control, however you should select the whole row.  Your title specifies "field" and if you are trying to click on a field it won't work, you need to click outside the row not on any particular field. (on the record selector at the left of the row)
0 Kudos
AndrewWiseman
New Contributor III
Yeah, I meant to say rows in a table (I added a correction to the bottom, it wouldn't let me change the title of this thread) but it won't let me select the multiple rows using my mouse, shift or ctrl on the record selector. Is there some setting I need to change?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
0 Kudos
AndrewWiseman
New Contributor III
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Interactively_selecting_records_in_a_t...

Click the leftmost column instead of the other data fields.

That's what I'm trying to do, but it doesn't work sometimes. Sometimes it does, but other times it only allows me to select one at a time.
0 Kudos
TerrySilveus
Occasional Contributor III
That's what I'm trying to do, but it doesn't work sometimes. Sometimes it does, but other times it only allows me to select one at a time.

Is it possible that one of your keyboard keys is stuck?  I've seen some weird things happen before just because one of the keys is stuck - it may not even look depressed.  It might be fixed by tapping firmly on all of the control, shift, caps lock, and function keys etc. (or all the keys with the computer off) several times and then see if that helps.
0 Kudos
Public_HealthObservatory
New Contributor III
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15323[/ATTACH]

I have this problem too! It is driving me nuts. I can't consistently select even ONE record from a table by clicking on it. Sometimes it works like it is supposed to, and sometimes it does not. When it doesn't work, the record is still blue like it is selected, but the number at the bottom will say "0/73 selected" or whatever (see attached). I always have to double-check that the record IS selected, and doesn't just LOOK like it is, because I can't count how many times I have gone to calculate one selected record and ended up calculating the entire field. So frustrating.

Behaviour is the same whether I am in edit mode or not. I can right-click and choose "Select/Unselect", but I have to choose it twice (first to unselect - even though it was not selected, and then again to select), and I can only select one record.

This behaviour was first noticed in 10.0. I had hoped 10.1 would resolve it but installed yesterday and it appears to have the same issue. Closing ArcMap may or may not help, same with a reboot.
0 Kudos
AndrewWiseman
New Contributor III

I have this problem too! It is driving me nuts. I can't consistently select even ONE record from a table by clicking on it. Sometimes it works like it is supposed to, and sometimes it does not. When it doesn't work, the record is still blue like it is selected, but the number at the bottom will say "0/73 selected" or whatever (see attached). I always have to double-check that the record IS selected, and doesn't just LOOK like it is, because I can't count how many times I have gone to calculate one selected record and ended up calculating the entire field. So frustrating.

Behaviour is the same whether I am in edit mode or not. I can right-click and choose "Select/Unselect", but I have to choose it twice (first to unselect - even though it was not selected, and then again to select), and I can only select one record.

This behaviour was first noticed in 10.0. I had hoped 10.1 would resolve it but installed yesterday and it appears to have the same issue. Closing ArcMap may or may not help, same with a reboot.

Yes, this is precisely what happens to me. Do you have a 64-bit machine by any chance?
0 Kudos
Public_HealthObservatory
New Contributor III
Yes, this is precisely what happens to me. Do you have a 64-bit machine by any chance?

Nope - you do?
0 Kudos
MichaelMilleson
New Contributor

I am having this same problem.. Did you ever find a solution?  I am wondering if Xtools is somehow the cause of this, do you have that installed?
0 Kudos