Failed to connect to the specified server

Jump to solution
02-22-2012 02:47 PM
FarhadNavaei
New Contributor III
I'm trying to attach Mongomery.mdf data from Developerkit10.0 samples (C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\DeveloperKit10.0\Samples\data) into my database to be able to publish MontgomerySimple.mxd as a service.

I have ArcGIS Server 10.0 and MS SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition. Although I converted the database from SQLEXPRESS to SQL Server and define the required user name and credentilas, I cannot connect to the database in ArcCatalog (Database Connection). When I click the "Test Connection" button in the "Spatial Database Connection Properties" form, the following error pops up:

"Failed to connect to the specified server. Underlying DBMS error [Unkown errorNo extended error.]

I have another Spatial database, which is created on the same server and works fine.

Anyone has any ideas what the problem might be?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FarhadNavaei
New Contributor III
OK, I was able to start the former service. I just used sa user instead of sde user in the Creting service wizard. It deleted the old service and recreated it again and then I was able to start the service in command prompt. I don;t know if the sde service should have any previalges that I have missed, but if it's ok to create the service with sa username, I'm OK now.

Thank you

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Farhad,

Did you change the compatibility level from SQL Server 2005 (90) to SQL Server 2008 (100)?  You can do this by right-clicking on the database in SQL Server Management Studio > Properties > Options.

Also, the database appears to be authorized for ArcGIS Server 9.3.  Be sure to re-authorize this for ArcGIS Server 10.
0 Kudos
FarhadNavaei
New Contributor III
Hi Jake,

I did  change the compatibility level, but I'm not sure about the authorization process. Should I run the ArcSDE Post Installation for that?
Thank you
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Yes, choose 'Custom' on the first dialog and then specify only the option to Authorize ArcSDE:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12208[/ATTACH]

Follow the rest of the wizard to complete the authorization.
0 Kudos
FarhadNavaei
New Contributor III
I did. It didn't work. Now, even my old geodatabase doesn't connect. is that because of creating ArcSDE service? Did I miss anything?
Please advise.
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
The wizard shouldn't have prompted you to create a service, but it won't matter if you created one.  What errors are recorded in your sdedc_SQL Server.log file?  This is typically found at C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\ArcSDE\sqlexe\etc.
0 Kudos
FarhadNavaei
New Contributor III
The following is the error in sdedc_sql_server.log

db_execute_sql Execute Error (229).
IDBInitialize::Initialize Failed
CAN'T OPEN INSTANCE: sde:sqlserver.
Spatial Engine Connection Failed (-9).
Cannot Get Access to Instance sde:sqlserver

Please see the following image. I was trying to start the first service, which I had from past, but it didn't work.
0 Kudos
FarhadNavaei
New Contributor III
The following is the error in sdedc_sql_server.log

db_execute_sql Execute Error (229).
IDBInitialize::Initialize Failed
CAN'T OPEN INSTANCE: sde:sqlserver.
Spatial Engine Connection Failed (-9).
Cannot Get Access to Instance sde:sqlserver

Please see the following image. I was trying to start the first service, which I had from past, but it didn't work.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12312[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
FarhadNavaei
New Contributor III
OK, I was able to start the former service. I just used sa user instead of sde user in the Creting service wizard. It deleted the old service and recreated it again and then I was able to start the service in command prompt. I don;t know if the sde service should have any previalges that I have missed, but if it's ok to create the service with sa username, I'm OK now.

Thank you