label small polygons with a number

03-01-2012 05:05 AM
DavidMcDermott
New Contributor
When labeling small polygons, is there a way to place a number inside the polygon, and have the label in a legend? I would use leader lines but they can become messy.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JonMorris
Occasional Contributor II
Hi David,

What you need is key number labeling, which we have just added to Maplex for ArcGIS 10.1. The initial implementation places labels in a list near the features, with a key number on the feature, but in the future we would also like to allow the labels to be added to the legend instead of a list.
0 Kudos
DavidMcDermott
New Contributor
Hi Jon,

Thank you for your swift reply. Is there a tutorial or help section that would show me how to use key number labeling?
0 Kudos
JonMorris
Hi David,

Yes, the new resource center page contains the ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 help. Key numbering information can be found here:
http://resourcesbeta.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/About_key_numbering/00s800000044000000...
0 Kudos
DavidMcDermott
New Contributor
Hi Jon,

Thank you, this will be very useful. Can you tell me when will 10.1 be released?
0 Kudos
JonMorris
Hi David,

You probably know as much as I do at this stage! All I can tell you is that we are at the final stages of pre-release, so it won't be long.

Sorry I can't be any more precise.
0 Kudos