Combine tool failes when combining more than 2 sliced rasters

03-02-2012 11:25 PM
ShivaniAserkar
New Contributor II
I am trying to combine total 12 raster out of which 7 are suitabilities, since they are only 9 category, I need to reclassify my suitability in to more units. I used slice tool to reclassify them using 1000 units of equal_area, However if I combine all of these together it gives me a generic error 9999999. or sometimes even something like this message.
ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
("esriDataSourcesRaster.RasterCalcUniqueValues") Too many unique values
ERROR 010159: Unable to open VAT file of C:\Users\Shivani\Searches\Documents\ArcGIS\Default.gdb\Combine_Slic2.
ERROR 010067: Error in executing grid expression.
Failed to execute (Combine).

If i combine using unsliced suitability rasters with my other inputs, the combine tool works perfect and gives me an output raster with all the input values. I tried joining two sliced raters and it worked, but if I try for all 7 rasters together for just sliced inputs, it fails. However I need to allocate future population which means more area will be required as input. I tried using raster calculator for suitabilities like
suitability*100 for changing the input raster value too, it combines two raters, but fails to do all together.
I am stuck for now.
Any help in this regard shall be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Sa
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShivaniAserkar
New Contributor II
I am trying to combine total 12 raster out of which 7 are suitabilities, since they are only 9 category, I need to reclassify my suitability in to more units. I used slice tool to reclassify them using 1000 units of equal_area, However if I combine all of these together it gives me a generic error 9999999. or sometimes even something like this message.
ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
("esriDataSourcesRaster.RasterCalcUniqueValues") Too many unique values
ERROR 010159: Unable to open VAT file of C:\Users\Shivani\Searches\Documents\ArcGIS\Default.gdb\Combine_Slic2.
ERROR 010067: Error in executing grid expression.
Failed to execute (Combine).

If i combine using unsliced suitability rasters with my other inputs, the combine tool works perfect and gives me an output raster with all the input values. I tried joining two sliced raters and it worked, but if I try for all 7 rasters together for just sliced inputs, it fails. However I need to allocate future population which means more area will be required as input. I tried using raster calculator for suitabilities like
suitability*100 for changing the input raster value too, it combines two raters, but fails to do all together.
I am stuck for now.
Any help in this regard shall be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Sa

Anybody any suggestions, please help as my work is stuck for now and cannot go further...Anyone from ESRI???

Thanks
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Perhaps trying a smaller section (smaller extent) would allow the process to complete.  Because the error message indicates you are exceeding the hard coded maximum for unique values you must find a way to limit it.  I would try to clip your 'equal area' rasters down to a smaller size to see if the process completes then. 

As per your requesting an Esri Employee, the quickest way to get a response is to create a Support Incident, as always.
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
After talking up this incident with a colleague, I also wanted to make a few recommendations.
1.Increase the number of unique values that can exist for a raster under the Customize > ArcMap Options > Raster > Raster Dataset > Unique Values
2. Change the output format to an ESRI GRID (instead of a file geodatabase)
3. Be sure each of the rasters have an attribute table to them, by running the Build Raster Attribute Table.
ShivaniAserkar
New Contributor II
Thanks jeff

Appreciate your reply, my combine did worked with your suggestions, here is something I learned in addition, I had exported all my rasters in one geodatabase in GRID format which made combine work in addition to your suggestions. Thanks a lot for your help.