WMX and AD Groups (or Windows Groups)

03-04-2012 12:51 PM
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
I am trying to use AD/Windows groups with Workflow manager.

Ive got a SQL Server database with a user/schema called "workflow". That works fine.

However, unless Im mistaken, when I map the AD groups to the workflow database I get errors when I try to execute any queries (eg look up all jobs in WMX itself).

Turns out the query that is trying to execute is "select * from JTX_JOBS" where I would expect "select * from workflow.JTX_JOBS". So its not appending the schema name to the query.

Now, you cant specify a default schema with an AD group so I think the only choice is to use a DBO schema (as this is the default if there is no default).

Or am I wrong?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TrevorHart1
New Contributor III
I am trying to use AD/Windows groups with Workflow manager.

Ive got a SQL Server database with a user/schema called "workflow". That works fine.

However, unless Im mistaken, when I map the AD groups to the workflow database I get errors when I try to execute any queries (eg look up all jobs in WMX itself).

Turns out the query that is trying to execute is "select * from JTX_JOBS" where I would expect "select * from workflow.JTX_JOBS". So its not appending the schema name to the query.

Now, you cant specify a default schema with an AD group so I think the only choice is to use a DBO schema (as this is the default if there is no default).

Or am I wrong?

Just to clarify, I am attempting to use AD groups so that I can use OS authetication for the connection to the workflow database. I dont need to use AD groups for the actual Workflow groups.

I have rebuilt my WMX ie JTX) tables within the DBO schema and now my AD users, who belong to AD groups can now execute queries as themselves.

If there is a better way to do it I would be interested to know.
0 Kudos
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Trevor,

The best approach is to fully qualify your queries when you define them inside of the Workflow Manager administrator. This will ensure that anyone connecting to the system will be executing the query against the same schema.

Thanks,
Tope
0 Kudos