How to Generate 3D Tunnel?

Jump to solution
03-07-2012 04:36 AM
BernardoG_
New Contributor II
Hi,

I have been asked to generate a 3D model of our workshop which I need to generate a hill and a tunnel inside.I have seen lots of ESRI and others tutorial online and they all tutor how to create surface 3D model but I couldn't find any sample of creating underground Model!
Can you please let me know how I can generate a 3D model of a Tunnel inside a hill? I have the tunnel information on CAD file and I just convert it to shapefile as a polyline
but I have no idea how I can assign values like (Height, Slope, Elevation, or any other required values!)to a line?!
Can you please kindly let me know how I can do this or introduce me a sample or tutorial of Underground(Geology) 3D mapping in ArcGIS?

Thanks alot
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
I would consider creating it as a multipatch with the Layer to 3d Feature tool.  To complete the look you may need a cylinder for the 'tunnel' and then another extruded multipatch for the entire area. With the Difference 3d Tool, you can clip out the portion to create the 'tunnel.' That would be a coarse description, but I think it would be the start.  As you make the tunnel and the original surface more complex the better the new one will be.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
I would consider creating it as a multipatch with the Layer to 3d Feature tool.  To complete the look you may need a cylinder for the 'tunnel' and then another extruded multipatch for the entire area. With the Difference 3d Tool, you can clip out the portion to create the 'tunnel.' That would be a coarse description, but I think it would be the start.  As you make the tunnel and the original surface more complex the better the new one will be.
0 Kudos
BernardoG_
New Contributor II
Hi jbswain,

Perfect, Thanks for your help.I have never worked with that tool, I am going to try it now.

Thanks again
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III
Once you have created the multipatch and you need to add more detail you can export to Collada then import to Google SketchUp (free 3D modelling software). Once you have added some realistic features and textures you can use the ArcScene editor to replace the model which will swap the edited model with your existing multipatch.
0 Kudos