How do I create a shape file from a .dbf?

03-13-2012 10:41 AM
ChristopherShivock
New Contributor
I recieved a new data set that contained all of the needed files except for the .shp portion of the shapefile.  I can obviously open the .dbf in ArcMAP10, but can not map anything.  The shape file contains polygons so there are no (X,Y) data for me to plot.  How can I re-create the needed .shp portion to map this data using the other existing portions?

Thank you and any help is much appreciated.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TerrySilveus
Occasional Contributor III
I believe it is the .shp file that holds the geometry, so if you don't have that and you don't have x,y data, you cannot recreate the shapefile.  I could be wrong, but that's what I what I think.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
A shape file is made up of a minimum of three seperate files:  <name>.shp, <name>.shx, <name>.dbf.  It's always nice to have the <name>.prj as well.

Yes, <name>.shp holds the geometry, and <name>.dbf is the feature attribute table; <name>.shx is the go-between-guy that indexes or links the proper geometric feature with the correct row in the .dbf.  Finally, the <name>.prj holds the projection definition for the shape file.  If you don't get the .prj file, you'll need to ask the data provider what the spatial reference is and run the define projection tool on the shape file.

Personally, I think the best way to transfer all the components of a shapefile is to put them into a directory and add the directory to it's own zip file.  If you got some of the component files but not all, contact who ever the data provider is and ask that they send everything.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos