Label features in ArcGIS Explorer?

05-02-2010 05:44 AM
BradfordFolta
Occasional Contributor
Unless I'm missing something, the inability to label features in ArcGIS Explorer is inexplicable to me and basically renders this product useless. Why isn't something as simple as labeling a feature included?
21 Replies
ChristopherOlsen
Occasional Contributor III
This is an existing enhancement, NIM052362- Enhance ArcGIS Explorer to support dynamic labeling of feature layers.

Currently, labels can only be displayed either by annotation layer or by ArcGIS server published Map services. Labels can be seen by enabling the Popup content for the layer, but these are only seen when hovering over the feature.

This is a great request for the Ideas website!

-Chris
0 Kudos
RobHaynes
New Contributor
Is there a example that shows how to do this with an annotation layer?
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Rob,

To use an Annotation Feature Class you'll first need to create a Layer file (.lyr) for it in ArcGIS Desktop - we don't support adding it directly from a Geodatabase.

Another option for quickly labelling content whilst in the application is the Feature Labeller Add-in on ArcGIS.com: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=856431c3611b4ffa847938906a5ea43d.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
PeterLindstrom
Occasional Contributor
I want to symbolize features in a point layer with a one- or two-digit number from an attribute field (color set by another field). Since ArcGIS Explorer can't do this via labeling, I created an annotation layer and brought it into ArcGIS Explorer via a layer file. This works well enough in 2D, but in 3D, the numbers stay north-oriented, meaning they're upside down in oblique views to the south. Definitely not what I'm looking for.

The ArcGIS Explorer Blog recently clued me in to 3D point symbols (see http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/arcgisdesktop/archive/2010/09/23/Using-ArcMap-to-create-layer-packag...). I've used this technique to good effect with point layers, but I can't seem to get it to work with my annotation layer. Does anyone know how I can get the numbers "billboarded" vertically so they're always easy to see and read?
0 Kudos
JamesStewart
New Contributor
Is there still this limitation with labels in 1500?  I have a shape file containing street names which are attached to short invisible line segments.  I can't seem to find where you would turn on labels and then set the source of the text string to pull from the appropriate field...

Thanks all.

J
0 Kudos
PeterLindstrom
Occasional Contributor
Is there still this limitation with labels in 1500?  I have a shape file containing street names which are attached to short invisible line segments.  I can't seem to find where you would turn on labels and then set the source of the text string to pull from the appropriate field...J

I'm pretty sure the limitation still exists in build 1500, but I don't have a computer with 1500 installed on it to test right now. You might try creating a layer file in ArcMap that has the labeling you want and opening that up in ArcGIS Explorer, but I doubt that's changed in 1500 either. Your best bet right now is probably to set up the labeling in ArcMap, convert to an Annotation Feature Class, create a layer file from that, and then open up that layer file in ArcGIS Explorer. It's convoluted, but apparently it works.
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Is there still this limitation with labels in 1500?  I have a shape file containing street names which are attached to short invisible line segments.  I can't seem to find where you would turn on labels and then set the source of the text string to pull from the appropriate field...

Thanks all.

J

Hi,

You'll need to set up the labelling in ArcMap then create a Layer File / Layer Package and add that to ArcGIS Explorer. Alternatively you try annotation feature classes.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
LuisSanchez
New Contributor
Hi,
I had added a layer file
(C:\GIS_MOBILE\Graphic_Street_TextAnno selection.lyr)
pointing to an annotation inside a File Geo Database to the Contents Window in ArcGIS Explorer 1500.  I can see the annotation.  The problem is that I cannot find a way to set the minimum and maximum scale.  It is always available in all scales.  There is not option in the menu to do this.  The Appereance menu is gone for the layer file.

Is any way to set the scales to a layer?

Thanks,
Luis
0 Kudos
PeterLindstrom
Occasional Contributor
You should be able to set scale dependencies in the layer properties in ArcMap before you save the layer file. These won't be editable in ArcGIS Explorer, but ArcGIS Explorer will honor them and layers will appear and disappear depending on the viewing scale.
0 Kudos