Transferring ownership of a web map in arcgis.com

Jump to solution
03-30-2012 05:55 AM
JonFisher
New Contributor III
Hello,

Is it possible to transfer ownership of a web map I have created in arcgis.com to another user, or give others edit access to it? For example, if I want to set up a web map for someone unfamiliar with arcgis.com, but let them make tweaks going forward is there any way to accomplish that without sharing passwords / accounts?

On a related note, is it possible to have more than one person able to administer a group? We have some groups where one person created it but they want to let someone else be able to share the responsibility of inviting / accepting new members.

thanks for any help you can provide,

Jon
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
With a free personal ArcGIS Online account, you can't transfer ownership of items or groups. If you have an organizational subscription, you can if you are the administrator. From My Content, select the item you want to transfer and click the Move To button and choose the option to move to another user.

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JonFisher
New Contributor III
I posted this after verifying that I couldn't transfer the ownership of my own web maps, but I now see that I CAN transfer the ownership of other web maps in my organization that I DON'T own! That seems very odd. I'm glad to be able to transfer ownership for others, but I'm puzzled why I can't do the same for my own web maps...
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
With a free personal ArcGIS Online account, you can't transfer ownership of items or groups. If you have an organizational subscription, you can if you are the administrator. From My Content, select the item you want to transfer and click the Move To button and choose the option to move to another user.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mike, this discourages students or entrepreneurs from getting in to Esri's platform. No way to try it out, and then upgrade to the Org and use content you started building. The limitation of where you create a Personal Account, and then can't update this info in to an Org account if you buy one.  For example, this has been an embarrassing issue with my students for many semesters. They want to take their nice work and story maps with them when they matriculate.  Managing content and ownership, whether I am teaching, managing for emergency management, or working with other agencies, is ... not optimal. I ran into more road blocks today; apparently you can't share editing of a web map to another user? Only the Owner can Save? Even in the same Org?  I will be calling tech support. But, why should I need to is the question. And really, I wanted an external user to be able to save. I successfully shared and she can see it but not Save.  

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Kevin, 

When you mention being able to save a map, do you mean with an organizational account? If so, I believe you can create a group with shared editing privileges, so other people besides the owners or administrators can save the web map. When you create a group, make sure to check "All Items" under "What items in the group can its members update?"

That way, if a map is shared with that group, other people should be able to edit and save it. (they would have to be members of that group though)

Hope that helps.

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I did exactly this, the "save" is Grey" but Save As is not.  In fact I even tested it between members of my own org!  I can log in as our Org Admin but then I log in as my kmsagis user and see the same thing, it is grey!  I will try calling Support. Maybe I am missing something. But if so, it's hidden rather well. That, or I just have a case of the Fridays.  

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hmmm that is so weird! I was curious and want to make sure I'm not giving incorrect advice so I ran through a whole test case (as an AGOL Administrator within my organization). Here were my exact steps:

1. Create a group called "test shared editing" and checked "All Items" under "What items in the group can its members update?"
  2. Invited a user to the group who has a type "Creator" with a "Publisher" role.
  3. Created a web map with my admin account and added an editable feature layer to it.
  4. Used an incognito window to log in as the other user that was invited to the group and found the web map that had been created by the admin.
  5. Made changes to features both by editing the pop up and also changing symbology of the feature and creating labels.
  6. Both "Save" and "Save As" were available as options. I clicked "Save".
  7. Refreshed the page while being logged in as the administrator and confirmed that the changes to the web map had been saved.

So, I wonder what could be causing the issue for you? What user type and role does "kmsagis" have? That's really the only variable I can see here that might affect things....

Or, as you said, it's just Friday ;D

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Katherine. I want me and her (in a different Org) to both be able to edit a web map. I created  a new test user SkioClaudia in my own Org as Publisher, and it was Creator. And that one even in my Group had the greyed out Save. All the layers are public and shared with everyone.

update::::: so when I create a new test user 'SkioClaudia' in my own Org... same problem, it is greyed out and I can not Save it. I have shared it to the new user, and it is Creator / Publisher, and in the Group and Invited.  So, I can't even get a web map to edit with two users in my own Org.  

Update 2:  when I did "Change Owner" top SkioClaudia user, then I log in with that user I am able to Save.  And interestingly, I'm still able to save as the Org Admin user.  That still doesn't answer the question of, what if I had 3 or 4 users I wanted to be able to edit a webmap at once. And, is it not possible I can stay the Owner, while letting her edit?  And last, I want her username from a different org to be able to edit.    So... some progress is made... but still more to follow, next week when I resume.

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Kevin MacLeod‌ - Regarding trying out the ArcGIS Platform, there are different ways to do this:

• Create a public account. You get a certain amount of capability for free. If you decide you like the platform, you can purchase a subscription. At that time, it is possible to use your public account to sign in to your new organization and bring your stuff with you.
  • Sign up for a free trial. You have to navigate our marketing pages for ArcGIS Online, but you can eventually get to this page: ArcGIS Trial | Free 21-Day Trial . After the trial period ends, you can purchase a full subscription. For this option, you can't sign in with an existing public account.
  • Sign up for a free developer account. ArcGIS for Developers . This gets you some capability for free and allows you to experiment and build apps.Pricing | ArcGIS for Developers 
  • If you're working with a school, the school can get a free organizational subscription through the Schools Mapping Software Bundle for Grades K-12 | ArcGIS for Schools . Unfortunately, there isn't a way for students who have graduated to take their stuff with them out of the organization other than the save as method mentioned above, which only works for web maps.

Related to wanting multiple people to have control over items, you can create a shared access and update group for members within your organization. This allows anyone in the group to edit the content of the group as if it was theirs. This only works within a single organization, not across organizations. Also, you need to have administrative privileges to create such a group. Members in the group don't need to be administrators.

Hope this helps.

Mike

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mike, thanks. That is as I thought.  Thank you for your detailed comments. Now, note that we extensively leverage AGOL deeply across local government, education, and private sector in my city, and we love what we can do with it. I have two ideas that I offer merely to make the platform even better.  One- software companies usually treasure education users as future customers. Allowing college students to take their work with them as portfolios would be a wise future business decision as a platform enhancement.  The "save as" workflow works to back stuff up, or 'move' stuff but then URLs and IDs change, etc. 

So, moving on up to an Org Acct from Personal account as a new business, let's say, and getting an Org account, this sounds like it would work great. But what about the student that graduates, then starts working somewhere that already has an Org account or maybe they are interning somewhere, transferring schools, etc. And they want to take everything, data, webmaps, apps etc. That should be a single click or a few clicks.   I don't see why it wouldn't be. And in fact, webmap and item URLs should remain the same so apps do not break even in the process of moving Org or Org.  Just saying, streamlining this process can only help generate favorable impressions of the platform for the GIS managers of tomorrow.  So there should perhaps be a content moving 'wizard' or something.

Second thought -  cross-org content collaboration is key for many sectors and folks. Is it coming? Do you know if either of these are Planned and/or In Consideration? Thank you again for your time and insight!