Map 3D 2011 to connect to GDB/MDB files created in ArcGIS/ArcView 10

04-09-2012 07:20 AM
BeenuVarughese
New Contributor II
I'm sorry if you've come across this type of post numerous times.
and I'm sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum.

So my users have:
Windows 7 Enterprise x64
Autodesk Map 3D 2011 x64 (network licensed)
ArcGIS 10 (network licensed)
(and if this is important to know, Microsoft Office 2010 x86)

They would like to open up info found in GDB/MDB files in Map3D 2011

I've downloaded FDO OGR Provider 3.5.0 for Windows x64 (tried using FDO Provider 3.6.0, but that doesn't work...that i guess works for Map 3D 2012).
I was able to create the connection (you see it as an option)
But when i try to connect to a GDB, i get an error:

<Map3dErrorLog xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="AcMap3dErrorLog.xsd"><Session user="bvadmin" start="3/28/2012 9:53:52 AM" document="Drawing1.dwg"><Error code="1" type="15" dispensation="1" sId="2" occurrence="1">Failed to connect.<Entry code="1" type="15" sId="3" occurrence="1">Failed to open FDO connection.</Entry><Entry code="1" type="15" sId="4" occurrence="1">Connect failed: </Entry></Error></Session></Map3dErrorLog>

Any suggestions as how i can get around this
(just so you know, i'm not proficient in CAD/GIS...i'm just the IT guy trying to help out the actual users of the progams)

Thank you
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MattSimmons
Occasional Contributor
You might try posting this question in an AutoCAD forum as well. I know that Map 3D has the ability to connect to an ArcGIS database and I *think* a simple connection is a fairly straightforward approach using a database connection.  The difficulty is that AutoCAD is engineering software and ArcGIS is mapping software and they just don't play nice.  I had the same problem where Map 3d users needed to connect to SDE but we did not want them to be able to edit the data - just add it to their drawings.  Our solution was to create a web feature service using OpenGeo.  It's an open source GIS suite that was downloaded and installed on our webserver.  In our solution it basically serves as the "middleware" between ArcSDE and Map3D to create an OGC compliant web service, which AutoCAD can consume easily.  Once it was up and running we had to create tableviews in SDE and created the web feature service from them.  I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, but maybe it'll provide a little insight~
0 Kudos
BeenuVarughese
New Contributor II
Thanks Matt.
I'll talk to my users about what you did.
0 Kudos