Domains NOT working

04-12-2012 12:25 PM
ModernElectric
Occasional Contributor III
Greetings-

I am having some issues with a select number of domains in a specific feature class. I have a file geodatabase build for my Water Infrastructure system. I have multiple "Domains" built for different fields in different feature classes
so editing the attributes is easier. Problem: In my wLaterLine feature class - none of my Domains work. I can go into the feature class in ArcCatalog and reset the domains - open the .MXD the geodatabase is in and still not have any drop downs. I don't have any issues with any other feature classes, just this one. How can I fix this?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
HardolphWasteneys
Chris,

hard to speculate on one malfunctioning Domain-filled FC without seeing the schema and FC structure, but I'd think there was something corrupt about the FC in question if the domains work elsewhere. 

Random suggestions/questions:
1. are you using subtypes?
2. build a test FC using the domains that work and some that don't if they are not already being used in the functional FCs.
3. how are you resetting the domains in the erring FC?  No subtypes set, just looking at the Fields tab?  The domain selection menu should only pick ones that have the right field type so that shouldn't be the issue
4. make a new FC and import the structure from the problem one.
5. make sure you have not pulled in a similar FC from outside the gdb
6. or selected the wrong workspace for your EDIT session
7. if the domains are not used elsewhere have a look at them for format; run Domain to Table to check coded values etc. and make sure coded value field type corresponds to the field type used for the various domains in the FC (though I can't see how it could have been selected if not).

Hardolph
0 Kudos
TerryDorschied
New Contributor
Greetings-

I am having some issues with a select number of domains in a specific feature class. I have a file geodatabase build for my Water Infrastructure system. I have multiple "Domains" built for different fields in different feature classes
so editing the attributes is easier. Problem: In my wLaterLine feature class - none of my Domains work. I can go into the feature class in ArcCatalog and reset the domains - open the .MXD the geodatabase is in and still not have any drop downs. I don't have any issues with any other feature classes, just this one. How can I fix this?

Thanks

We just noticed a similar problem but with our GeoDatabase.  We have some feature classes that are all disconnected from the domain and some that are partial.  We have had the same schema for years.  Please let me know if you get any answers.
0 Kudos
ModernElectric
I am sure there are other ways of fixing this issue - but this is what I did and it worked out fine.
    -Exported the feature class out to a .SHP file and delete the (E) feature class that was having issues (wLateralLines)
    -I went to the Domains in ArcCatalog and copied (meaning I wrote the data in a Microsoft Word document) the information.
    -I deleted all the Domains that were used for the Feature Class.
    -I recreated ALL of the same domains
    -Imported the .SHP file back into the Geodatabase witht the same name as before.
    -Relinked all of the Domains to the Feature Class fields

When I opened up the .MXD for the geodatabase - the wLateralLines feature class was back to normal. All my drop-downs where present and the data was all there.

As I said before - I am sure there is a better way to do this - but for me it seemed to fix this paticular Feature Class.
0 Kudos
MarkPeacey
New Contributor III
Hopefully you won't have to do it again, if you do try this http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//001700000022000000http:// tool and then use the other one called Table to Domain to import them back. It'll at least save you having to copy a large amount of material. There's also this tool http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/geodatabase/details?entryID=D62A883B-1422-2418-8873-5721AB3... which can help when handling domains.
0 Kudos
JessicaHanscom
New Contributor II

I have a similar problem.  I have a geometric network in a file geodatabase and the first time I used the domains after making them they worked.  The next time I was in the project all domains stopped working.  I tried everything--removing the domains from the fields, deleting the domains, re-creating them from tables, re-applying them to the same fields...still won't work.  I tried to edit in a whole new mxd too.  None of them are on a subtype field, all are appropriate data types for the fields they are assigned (just cause I know people will ask these questions).

It is weird they worked at first than just stopped working.  Is this a known bug, perhaps some kind of incompatibility with feature classes in a geometric network?

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Jessica  This is a very old thread. I'll suggest you create a new Post with all the relevant details.

You should also contact Esri Tech Support if possible, share with them your testing observations and check with them.