dananrg

Does ArcGIS Online for Organizations = ArcGIS Desktop delivered through Saas?

Discussion created by dananrg on Apr 12, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 18, 2012 by dananrg
Is ArcGIS Online for Organizations a metered, Software As A Service (SaaS) deployment of ArcGIS Desktop in the Cloud? Or is it a subscription based managed map services offering? If advanced workloads can't be sent to ArcGIS Online for Organizations, or if it's not ArcGIS Desktop being served virtually through the Cloud, I'm wondering what it's Unique Value Proposition is to customers.

A short while ago, I posted the following Idea @ ideas.arcgis.com. This was before I started hearing more about ArcGIS Online for Organizations / Enterprises. Somewhere it was described as "GIS Without the Box." Virtual ArcGIS Desktop subscriptions might fit that description. But I'm not sure ArcGIS Online for Organizations does. Are there any good podcasts or video presentations that clarify what ArcGIS Online for Organizations/Enterprises offers vs. plain old ArcGIS Online (which users evidently find limiting)?

I've also heard the term "GIS As A Service." Not quite sure of the scope or what that really means. GIS As A Service (GaaS?), to me, would be the ability to send large geospatial workloads to the cloud on a pay-as-you-go basis. Or metered, remote access to ArcGIS Desktop (or ArcGIS for Desktop at the 10.1 release).

Is ArcGIS Online for Organizations *really* Software As A Service if ArcGIS Desktop is not in the mix? Perhaps it's a new kind of software being offered as a service; but not the type of traditional geospatial software GIS Analysts are familiar with, right?

Offer ArcGIS Desktop through the Software As A Service (SaaS) Cloud model for both deployment and licensing
http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=08730000000bx0DAAQ

Outcomes