LOW MEMORY - Issue arises as features collected

Jump to solution
04-13-2012 10:18 AM
JoelCrawford
New Contributor
Hi again,

I'm having an issue now with LOW MEM and I believe it could be something with my code, like I'm not setting objects back to nothing or I'm supposed to save something out?

This is just an idea since if I get the message and close ArcPad - saving out the map, then upon reopening it works fine...for a while until it happens again. Like a cache is getting full and needs clearing...

Here's the code, which was put together based on other threads (thank you!)

---------------

Sub AddFeature
  Dim dblX, dblY, objToolButton, blnLyrExists, strLayer
  'Get a reference to the tool button object
  Set objToolButton = ThisEvent.Object
  'Initialize blnLyrExists flag to False
  blnLyrExists = False
  'If layer exists, set the blnLyrExists flag to true
  Dim objLyr
  For Each objLyr in Map.Layers
    If StrComp (objLyr.Name, "ST", 1) = 0 Then
      blnLyrExists = True
   strLayer = "ST"
      Exit For
    End If
  Next
  'If layer does not exist:
  'Notify the user, return the tool button to its original state, and exit.
  If Not blnLyrExists Then
    MsgBox "The layer is not present in the current map.", vbExclamation, "Layer not present"
    objToolButton.Click
    Exit Sub
  End If
  'If the layer does exist:
  'Get the coordinates of the map where the user clicked
  dblX = Map.PointerX
  dblY = Map.PointerY
  'Get a reference to the Layer object
  Dim objLayer
  Set objLayer = Map.Layers("ST")
  'If the layer can be made editable, make it editable
  If objLayer.CanEdit Then
    objLayer.Editable = True
    'Add a new tree (point feature) at the clicked location
    Call Map.AddFeatureXY(dblX,dblY)
    'Return the tool button to its original state
    objToolButton.Click
  End If
End Sub
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HannahFerrier
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Guys,

There are so many ways to better manage your device memory when working with ArcPad - but i would suggest the you read Blog 1 & Blog 2 first to get a better understanding about Windows Mobile and how your device uses/allocated memory.

There are a variety of options that you can use to improve performance, but I would always recommend the removal of any extensions that are not being used in your project. All extensions are loaded during ArcPad start-up, consuming resources that could be available for your map. See here for more information.

Some other areas to look at are your GPS Tracklog (try archiving your data), reducing the number of layers in your AXF (restrict to operational data only) and creating a local tile cache for background features (see here for details).

There are many other ways to make your project more mobile and lightweight - but remember, you always have the option to run ArcPad on Windows 7 (there are some great rugged tablets on the market...) to avoid the memory restrictions imposed by Windows Mobile.

Hannah

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JoelCrawford
New Contributor
Hi again!

This sounds a lot like my issue, as it happens with AXF and not SHP....

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/454...851#post189851
0 Kudos
JoelCrawford
New Contributor
This also sound exactly like what we're experiencing. Have these been resolved? Does anyone know?

http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=34&f=2461&t=298059

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/43967-ArcPad-10.0.2-10.0.3-Crash-on-Geo-HX-6000

Thanks again! Joel.
0 Kudos
PatrickMurphy
Occasional Contributor
I agree that this is a program flaw and is probably based more on poor programming (memory leak - not releasing memory properly when no longer needed) than to real limitations of the devices.  I know that the devices are limited in what they can do, but I get the low memory with only 2 data collection shape files and 15  350K background images that I only use one or two at a time.  I start out OK, but the Low Mem warning shows up in about an hour.  I am almost certain that when I turn off one of the images, the memory isn't properly getting cleared.
0 Kudos
JamesDavis
New Contributor
I agree that this is a program flaw and is probably based more on poor programming (memory leak - not releasing memory properly when no longer needed) than to real limitations of the devices.  I know that the devices are limited in what they can do, but I get the low memory with only 2 data collection shape files and 15  350K background images that I only use one or two at a time.  I start out OK, but the Low Mem warning shows up in about an hour.  I am almost certain that when I turn off one of the images, the memory isn't properly getting cleared.

Sounds like the issue I have been dealing with the last couple of weeks!  low memory display, map freezes and will not refresh / redraw.  Been pulling my hair out because of this being I'm not much of a ArcPad Tech. or anything.  One thing I do know is that there should already be some kind of an update or patch that we can download that will fix this thing!!!  I can only map a couple of points and lines before it starts acting up.

If there is an update or patch etc... please let me know!  [ATTACH=CONFIG]15019[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
HannahFerrier
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Guys,

There are so many ways to better manage your device memory when working with ArcPad - but i would suggest the you read Blog 1 & Blog 2 first to get a better understanding about Windows Mobile and how your device uses/allocated memory.

There are a variety of options that you can use to improve performance, but I would always recommend the removal of any extensions that are not being used in your project. All extensions are loaded during ArcPad start-up, consuming resources that could be available for your map. See here for more information.

Some other areas to look at are your GPS Tracklog (try archiving your data), reducing the number of layers in your AXF (restrict to operational data only) and creating a local tile cache for background features (see here for details).

There are many other ways to make your project more mobile and lightweight - but remember, you always have the option to run ArcPad on Windows 7 (there are some great rugged tablets on the market...) to avoid the memory restrictions imposed by Windows Mobile.

Hannah
JamesDavis
New Contributor
Hi Guys,

Hannah

That would probably make since to me if it had been doing it all along on and off but this just started a couple of weeks ago.  The amount of data I have collected this year is mostly nothing so I can't say it's my file size, lol   Like I said I'm not to software literate but I do know when there is a snake in the wood pile because I can see his tail!
0 Kudos