Photographs in ArcGIS Online - Best Practice

Jump to solution
04-17-2012 09:34 PM
DarrochKaye
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

I'm brand new to ArcGIS Online. I have a shapefile that displays locations of photographs, of which the link to the image file is in one of the fields of the shapefile. This does the job in a desktop environment, but the problem I have is there are several images in this dataset (over 400Mb when zipped; a fair chunk of my 2Gb AGON limit) and these are linked to locations on my external HDD, i.e. they're not relative so the links are useless if I uploaded them to AGON.

I am unsure how to efficiently upload images to AGON and also how to link these to a point shapefile or feature class.

If anyone could provide tips/pointers/advice on how to take this forward, it would be greatly appreciated. 

I'm using ArcGIS 10 (ArcEditor).

Thanks,
DK
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
ArcGIS Online is not an option for hosting your images. You will need to use some other photograph storing site. Essentially, you need a URL to your image that you'll reference in a field of your shapefile. This will allow you to display the image in a popup window when you click on a feature on the map (I assume this is your goal).

Check out this post for some tips on configuring the popup window to display your image.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/52504-Configure-pop-up-for-individual-features?p=179544&viewfull=1#...

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
ArcGIS Online is not an option for hosting your images. You will need to use some other photograph storing site. Essentially, you need a URL to your image that you'll reference in a field of your shapefile. This will allow you to display the image in a popup window when you click on a feature on the map (I assume this is your goal).

Check out this post for some tips on configuring the popup window to display your image.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/52504-Configure-pop-up-for-individual-features?p=179544&viewfull=1#...

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
DarrochKaye
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for that. I have already uploaded my photographs to Flickr and I plan to link to them via the pop-up windows as described.

Thanks,
DK
0 Kudos