Raster to polygon Conversion Tool not converting continuous rasters in 10.0

Jump to solution
04-24-2012 10:35 AM
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Reposting in this forum... any ideas?

Over in the [thread=27311]original thread,[/thread] I have suggested integerizing the data first. But a 999999 error doesn't sound like a good result no matter what you throw at a tool.

Is Raster To Polygon a little less robust in 10.0 than the previous release?

Hello,

The Raster to Polygon conversion tool is supposed to work according to: http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/tutorials/Spatial_23.htm

In my installation of Arc GIS 10, it only works if the raster is thematic but it works for all raster types, multilayer, continuous values, noninteger values etc on my colleagues ArcGIS 9.3.1. installation. We have wasted 2 days trying to solve this problem. All it spits out are error codes which are deadenders.

Has anyone else come across this problem?
Any ideas for a solution?

Is it a systemic problem in ArcGIS 10 or only in my particular installation?

Would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has experienced this problem and/or found a solution.

Thank you for any advice.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
The RasterToPolygon tool works only with integer rasters.

To find out what type of raster you have, right click on the raster in your table of contents in ArcMap and choose Properties.

On the Source tab, if the pixel type is integer then it can be used, like in the graphic below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13779[/ATTACH]

Hope this helps.
Steve

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
The RasterToPolygon tool works only with integer rasters.

To find out what type of raster you have, right click on the raster in your table of contents in ArcMap and choose Properties.

On the Source tab, if the pixel type is integer then it can be used, like in the graphic below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13779[/ATTACH]

Hope this helps.
Steve
0 Kudos
RobertZiegler
New Contributor
In Spatial analyst click on Raster Calculator ->click Int(your raster)->click Evaluate->use your raster calculator result to convert to polygon with Raster to Polygon tool.
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
In Spatial analyst click on Raster Calculator ->click Int(your raster)->click Evaluate->use your raster calculator result to convert to polygon with Raster to Polygon tool.

If you're just integerizing it, you can simply use the Int tool. (IMHO, it's a lot easier to find tools by searching for them by name or keyword instead of searching through toolboxes...)

The raster calculator tool, is of course much more flexible - for example, you can scale and round your values if that is necessary to preserve the values using an expression like this:

Int(("myraster" * 100.00) + 0.5)
0 Kudos