Exporting 3D models to FBX files?

04-30-2012 01:46 AM
jeffreymorris1
New Contributor II
How do I export the 3D models of streets to FBX? I got a message saying that there was an error exporting the 3D models to FBX.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi ..

it does not matter what you export to FBX, whether this is streets or buildings is the same.

what error message did you get ? was the file created or not ?

let me know. 🙂
0 Kudos
jeffreymorris1
New Contributor II
Are the gray streets that I create or edit using Create Street Tool or Edit Street Tool "2D" or "3D"?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
I am not perfectly sure what you mean if the streets are '2d or 3d' .. 🙂

You can move the end points of streets (nodes) also up vertically with the move tool (w key), so they're 3d.

The 'Dynamic City Layouts' - CityEngine's tools to create streets - are 3D. In general, what they do is create a series of shapes which are to be used with CGA.

CGA always needs to have an input geometry for use with CGA, thus to create 3d street geometries, you need tools to create the shapes for those streets.

I hope this makes sense.
0 Kudos
jeffreymorris1
New Contributor II
I can export the street network lines to SHP files and import them into Autodesk Infrastructure Modeler program. Do I have to convert the gray street shapes into 3D models?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
you can export all the elements you want :

- graph segments,        e.g. via the shp format
- shapes,                    e.g. via the shp format
- 3d models,                e.g. via dae, fbx, obj, 3ds, ..

CityEngine uses 'shapes' plus 'CGA rules' to produce '3D Models', which then can be exported.

--> exporting shapes is not the same as exporting 3d models. choose what you want to export on the first page of the Exporter dialog.

ok ? 🙂
0 Kudos
MariaMiranda
New Contributor
I've the same problem.... when i'm trying to export my 3d city model to FBX file, i receive an error message and i cannot see the log file.

Do you know why? Could be because it's a big city? Or something wrong with my code?

FIXED! Some mistakes with the roads
0 Kudos