Failed to register dataset as versioned. why?

Jump to solution
05-03-2012 01:59 AM
LigiaGafitescu
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

I'm dealing for the first time with an ArcSDE geodatabase so I'm facing simple problems to you. ESRI help wasn't of much help (to a begginer at least).

I am using an ArcSDE geodatabase on a SQL Server, I have an unregistered Dataset, with non-simple data and I'm trying to Register it as Versioned.
I am unable do do this and other tasks in the geodatabase because of this error " "Failed to register as versioned. Lock request conflicts with an established lock [DBO DBO DBO]".

Furthermore: there are 4 users of the geodatabase, I am the Administrator, and apparently I have "Higher-lever permissions" and cannot check any of the three options and "cannot apply. the table is already locked".

Thank you for your help
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor
Ligia:

Registration of a table as versioned requires an exclusive lock.  From your post it would appear as though there are other user's currently connected that are accessing feature classes within the Feature Dataset which puts shared locks on the data and prevents the creation of an exclusive lock.

You did not post your configuration so I am not sure if you have access to sde command line to check current connections; however, this may also be done by looking at the 'dbo.sde_process_information' table to identify the user connecting (owner) and the machine from which the connection was issued (nodename).

Additionally, if you have the the 'registration_id' for the tables contained within the feature dataset (dbo.sde_table_registry)you can see if any table_locks exist that could be preventing the registration from within (dbo.sde_table_locks).  The 'sde_id' for the session and the registration_id corresponding to the table in 'table_locks' will enable you to determine which sessions are connecting to the tables in the Feature Dataset through comparison with the 'process_information' table's 'sde_id'

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14071[/ATTACH]

FAQ:  How are the various lock mechanisms implemented in ArcSDE and the geodatabase?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor
Ligia:

Registration of a table as versioned requires an exclusive lock.  From your post it would appear as though there are other user's currently connected that are accessing feature classes within the Feature Dataset which puts shared locks on the data and prevents the creation of an exclusive lock.

You did not post your configuration so I am not sure if you have access to sde command line to check current connections; however, this may also be done by looking at the 'dbo.sde_process_information' table to identify the user connecting (owner) and the machine from which the connection was issued (nodename).

Additionally, if you have the the 'registration_id' for the tables contained within the feature dataset (dbo.sde_table_registry)you can see if any table_locks exist that could be preventing the registration from within (dbo.sde_table_locks).  The 'sde_id' for the session and the registration_id corresponding to the table in 'table_locks' will enable you to determine which sessions are connecting to the tables in the Feature Dataset through comparison with the 'process_information' table's 'sde_id'

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14071[/ATTACH]

FAQ:  How are the various lock mechanisms implemented in ArcSDE and the geodatabase?
CharlotteCaron
New Contributor II

Your file in the Geodatabase may have been used somewhere or opened,

Close open map and try again. I faced the same problem.

Thanks

Bimal

0 Kudos