Offset Process

05-07-2012 12:06 PM
EmraSERT
New Contributor
Dear All, I have a feature class and my feature has 88 line records, this records has line number field (1-88), I want to create a offset according to line number, I will want to go 10 meters offset inter lines according to line number, according to this situation first line number is offset position is 0 then second line offset amount 10 m, third line offset amount 20 m .... and last line offset amount 880 m. How to I doing for this situation. (Note: I was trying Geotools, Schema, Buffer, Editing-Offset)? Please help for this situation.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
If I understand your question correctly, you can try the following:

1. Use Add Field tool (Data Management toolbox - Fields toolset) to add a field for distance values.
2. Use Calculate Field tool (in the same toolset) to calculate the distance field with multiplying the line number field by 10.
3. Run the Buffer tool and specify the distance field. It should create buffers according to the distance values.
4. If you need the output as lines, run Polygon To Line (requires ArcInfo license) - uncheck "Identify and store polygon neighboring information" option (this option is new in ArcGIS 10) to convert the polygons to lines.

Hope that works for you.
0 Kudos
EmraSERT
New Contributor
Dear Lee, thank youo very much for your solution, are there other way for this situation?
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
I should have mentioned that the output of Buffer contains enclosed shapes, not exactly offset lines. So you would need to do some editing work.

There might be a proper editing tool to do this. You can try to post your question in the Editing forum:
http://forums.arcgis.com/forums/116-Editing
0 Kudos