Beginner Tips for ArcMap / ArcPad Interaction

05-08-2012 05:37 PM
JohannesLindenbaum
New Contributor
I've become a little frustrated with this problem, I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I'm using ArcMap 10, ArcPad 10, and am trying to do disconnected editing.

I am wondering what the "proper" workflow is for the following is:
- Create Map
- Deploy to mobile device
- Have people in field enter information to proper shapefile
- Check in changed information to map created above.

What I've completed (successfully?):
- I've created a map with a coordinate system
- Created the shape files (with fields) that I want, they use the same coordinate system
- Got data for ArcPad
- Deployed to device
- Edited a shapefile on the device
- Saved the map

What I can not get working, is the checkin back to the map I've created on ArcMap. I've tried doing editing for both Shapefiles and AFX layers. But ArcMap never lets me check those back in from the device. The examples I find all tell me to use "disconnected editing" which isn't available (apparently that happens when your coordinate systems aren't the same..?)

My secondary problem / advice that I'd like is:
- Auto incrementing IDs in ArcPad Forms - do I need to script those, or do they just work?
- Does one do daily syncs back to ArcMap and empty the shapefiles on the device?
- Any tips on how to make the above workflow work.

Thanks a tonne in advance.

Kind Regards,
Johannes
-
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
HannahFerrier
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Johannes,

You mentioned that you were using SHAPEFILES on your desktop?? I would recommend putting your data into a GEODATABASE to get the most functionality out of the ArcPad Data Manager. This will allow you to select the "Checkout all Geodatabase Layers" option when you use the 'Get Data for ArcPad' Tool on the ArcPad Data Manager Toolbar. That way you can edit your AXF in the field and then check your edits back into your geodatabase.

To answer your other questions:

1. Check out the 'Quick Start Tutorial - Tree Inventory - Exercise 2' in the Customizing ArcPad Help for basic form customization including auto-incrementing fields on your forms.
2. I would recommend doing a check out/check in everyday to keep things simple. Make sure you discard your old check outs and use a new one each day to avoid confusion (and duplicates!). The AXF is only a temporary data store for your field data - Get your edits back into your project as soon as you can!!
3. Using a geodatabase should help your workflow!!

Please let me know if you have any more questions...

Hannah
0 Kudos
JohannesLindenbaum
New Contributor
Hi Hanna,

thanks for the informative reply. This is fantastic. I just want to clear up that I would still create my data model as a shape file, import that into a geodatabase. Essentially a collection of feature classes / data models. I assume that a geodatabase would alleviate any collisions on ids when multiple data sets are checked in from several devices?

For future readers, copy your data folder off the device using the mobile device centre, do not point ArcMap at your device directly. Windows throws the files into a temporary location, and disregards the log file resulting a "Skipped File" error. Pull the folder off, point ArcMap at that folder, complete your checkin.

I managed to figure out the auto increment stuff, helps if you check the correct boxes - who knew? 🙂 I do have one final question regarding this, I have my layer definitions for the shapefile created with ArcPad Studio, but when the shapefiles are in a geodatabase, and I transfer to the device, the form doesn't seem to go with it - my combo box values and auto increment properties are not on the device. What'd I miss?

Thanks again for your answer, this is fantastic progress for me, what a learning curve.

Kind Regards,
0 Kudos