Problems with GLOBALIDs, GUIDs, and the Create Relationship Class GP Tool

05-25-2012 03:54 PM
NathanHeick
Occasional Contributor II
I am trying to create relationship classes using the geoprocessing tool Create Relationship Class in Python and in ArcCatalog.  I am using an origin primary key that is a GLOBALID and an origin foreign key that is GUID.  The error I receive in Python is:

Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid.
ERROR 000800: The value is not a member of GLOBALID.
Failed to execute (CreateRelationshipClass).

In ArcCatalog, when accessing the GP tool from ArcToolbox, once I select the origina primary key as a GLOBALID, it will only let me choose from the GLOBALID in the destination table as valid foreign keys.

To me, it seems like the GP tool is too restrictive and only lets you make relationship classes between GLOBALIDs and GLOBALIDs, not GLOBALIDs and GUIDs.

If I choose New -> Relationship Class in ArcCatalog, it allows me to choose from the GLOBALID field and the GUID field in the destination table.  It allows relationships between GLOBALIDs and GUIDs.

Does anyone have a workaround for this or an explanation?  I have to drop and recreate 180 relationship classes in an automated fashion and I would prefer to use Python.
Tags (2)
33 Replies
NathanHeick
I followed up with Esri Technical Support on this issue.  They reported it as a bug and said that it won't be corrected until a later release of ArcGIS 10.1.
IB1
by
Occasional Contributor
Any word on this ESRI?

Can't this be an easy fix?

I really need this to work with Python.

I'm using 10.0 and am having the same issue.
IB1
by
Occasional Contributor
Bump it up
IB1
by
Occasional Contributor
Bump it up
IB1
by
Occasional Contributor
Bump, bump ... bump it up.
IB1
by
Occasional Contributor
Bump, bump ... bump it up.
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
The bug that was logged for this is NIM082537.  You can follow the status of it here.
IB1
by
Occasional Contributor
The bug that was logged for this is NIM082537.  You can follow the status of it here.

Thanks! You the man. I'll shut up now.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

BTW- the Version found should be 10.0 and 10.1, not just 10.1
NathanHeick
I can confirm that as well.  It still does not work.