Using Related Tables in Flex Viewer

Jump to solution
05-31-2012 12:09 PM
AmySadler
New Contributor
Hello! I am fairly new to using ArcGIS for Flex and am trying to set up a viewer for my organization. I am wanting to use the Query widget to allow users to search for information on a table. The table is related back to a layer and I can see it on my server, but when I go to use the data in the widget, I get error #1009. Is it possible to use a table in the query widget or does it have to be a feature class?

On a related note, can you use information in a related table to populate a "pop-up" for a feature?

Thanks very much for your help!
Amy S.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Amy,

1. "How do you use eSearch?" It is just like the search widget that come with the viewer but with MANY more options and capabilities. Many times it is easier to dig in than try to think about things to much.

2. "So does this mean there isn't a way to display related tables in Flex?" No, there are ways to display related tables in FLEX, but I assume you are not a developer. There is not a widget already created for displaying related tables besides my eSearch, that I am aware of.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
23 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Amy,

Relates can be accessed using my eSearch but as relates require you to specify which relate you are wanting data returned for you can not use them in popups. The query widget is for display of geometry and not just querying tabular data.
0 Kudos
AmySadler
New Contributor
Thanks for the info! How do you use eSearch? So does this mean there isn't a way to display related tables in Flex?
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Amy,

1. "How do you use eSearch?" It is just like the search widget that come with the viewer but with MANY more options and capabilities. Many times it is easier to dig in than try to think about things to much.

2. "So does this mean there isn't a way to display related tables in Flex?" No, there are ways to display related tables in FLEX, but I assume you are not a developer. There is not a widget already created for displaying related tables besides my eSearch, that I am aware of.

0 Kudos
AmySadler
New Contributor
I am most definitely not a developer. Thanks for the information! I will try this and let you know how it works!
0 Kudos
AmySadler
New Contributor
Robert,

I have added your widget to my Flex Viewer and it is fantastic! Thanks for your work on this!

I do have one question though. I am trying to display related records (which are in a table) of a spatial layer, but so far, I haven't been able to get the related records to show. Is this possible or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks again!

Amy
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Amy,

If you can see the relate when you go to the rest service directory then it will work with my widget.
0 Kudos
scottBassingthwaite
New Contributor
Robert,

I have a join in mxd (9.3.1) and am trying to query layer with eSearch widget (2.5).  I can see all the fields in the rest but darned if I can return anything (getting 400 error).  Not sure of the query syntax in the eSearch.xml, expression.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Scott,

If you are using a join then you will have to use the full field names like this:

Calhoun_Soils.MUSYM = '[value]'
0 Kudos
JosephAccardi
New Contributor III
"So does this mean there isn't a way to display related tables in Flex?" No, there are ways to display related tables in FLEX, but I assume you are not a developer. There is not a widget already created for displaying related tables besides my eSearch, that I am aware of.

Robert, I'm using your eSearch widget to export out graphical searches to .csv format (http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/63074-Select-and-Export-features.-eSearch). As discussed in this thread, your eSearch widget allows a user to view related tables, similarly to your InfoTemplate widget, but does the eSearch widget allow a user export out a graphical search result with related tables appended to the selected records in the data grid?
0 Kudos