Population-weighted centroid

06-05-2012 01:58 PM
LaraSanders
New Contributor
I know this question has been asked and answered a number of times on this forum, but I'm still stumped when trying to apply the answers to my own data.

I'm trying to calculate the population-weighted centroid of the census blocks for my city.
The attribute table for the census block data includes the population for each census block.
I have been trying to use the mean center tool to calculate the population-weighted centroid, choosing:
- the census block layer as the input feature
- the census block population in the Weight Field
- the individual census blocks in the Case Field

But the results keep coming up with the geographic centroid, rather than the population-weighted centroid.  The census block population doesn't appear in the attribute field of the
new layer.
Obviously I am missing something: any help would be so very much appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DT
by
New Contributor III
I know this question has been asked and answered a number of times on this forum, but I'm still stumped when trying to apply the answers to my own data.

I'm trying to calculate the population-weighted centroid of the census blocks for my city.
The attribute table for the census block data includes the population for each census block.
I have been trying to use the mean center tool to calculate the population-weighted centroid, choosing:
- the census block layer as the input feature
- the census block population in the Weight Field
- the individual census blocks in the Case Field

But the results keep coming up with the geographic centroid, rather than the population-weighted centroid.  The census block population doesn't appear in the attribute field of the
new layer.
Obviously I am missing something: any help would be so very much appreciated.

If you're still working on this, don't fill out the case field.  That would be used if you had census blocks across an entire State and wanted to say find the centroid of census blocks by City, in which case you'd use "City" as the case field.  Otherwise, you're correct in your entries.
0 Kudos