Panasonic Toughbook Cf-19 Internal GPS- Location Not Tracking in ArcPAD 10

07-19-2012 10:34 AM
SuzanneRoussie
New Contributor
Just purchased new Panasonic Toughbooks with the built in GPS receiver running Windows 7 and ArcPad 10.  ArcPad configured the GPS on COM Port 3 at 4800 Baud using NMEA 0183.  Upon activating the GPS, approximately 12 satelites are picked up and my location is determined within seconds which is rather nice.  Unfortunately when I start to map out anything the crosshairs do not track my movements and remain on the same location as to where I was when I enabled the GPS.  I was watching the info coming across the debugging screen and it was all the same, even when I was moving.  I walked down the street for a bit and the crosshairs still remained in the same position.  Thinking maybe something was wrong with the toughbook I tried a second one.  Same problem.  I am hoping it is just a configuration error and someone with more experience can show me what I am doing wrong, especially since one is currently in the field and the other scheduled for deployment into the field Monday.  I have 6 more coming and I need to get them all working.  Thanks.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RolfBroch
Occasional Contributor II
Do you experience the same while using the pc in a car and driving?

If so, there may be a setting (for the GPS) that in order to avoid the GPS jumping all over the place, the coordinates will not update unless there is a significant movement.

There is a thread about it (in the old forum) here: http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=34&f=2136&t=216558&mc=3#msgid655533

Rolf
0 Kudos
SuzanneRoussie
New Contributor
I will have to try that on Monday.  Unfortunately, if that is the problem I am hoping that the third party software fixes it because there are no settings for the internal GPS.
0 Kudos