ERROR 001270: Consolidating the data failed.

07-30-2012 07:43 AM
YimanSong
New Contributor III
I got this error when I try to publish a tiled map service to ArcGIS Online through ArcMap. Does anyone know why?
Tags (2)
61 Replies
JoanneParkinson
Esri Contributor
Hello Yiman,

The message you received indicates the data and any additional resource could not be packaged.

There is a help topic associated with the message you received:

'>http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00vp0000002r001270

What type of data does the .mxd you are trying to publish contain?

Does the length of the path to your data, staging folder or server name exceed the operating system limit?

Thanks,

Joanne Parkinson
Esri Software Product Engineer
YimanSong
New Contributor III
I was trying to use the data straight from our SDE. Is it a bad practice?
0 Kudos
JoanneParkinson
Esri Contributor
It is okay to publish hosted services using data from an enterprise geodatabase. If paths lengths don�??t exceed operating system limits, the issue may be with the data.
0 Kudos
StevenMoore1
Esri Contributor
Hi Yiman,

Have you created a portal connection to your organizational site using the ArcGIS Administrator?

You can check this by launching the ArcGIS Administrator, clicking Advanced, then Manage Portal Connections. Do you see a URL to your site in addition to 'http://www.arcgis.com' ?

If not, click 'Add', type the URL to your site, and then click 'Connect'. Also keep in mind that if you have SSL enabled on your site, the URL you add will need to use HTTPS instead of HTTP.
0 Kudos
MatthewKelso
New Contributor
This error has been plaguing me in recent weeks when trying to upload data to ArcGIS Online through the Desktop 10.1 interface.  It is clear that this is being used in ways other than described on the help file:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00vp0000002r001270

I'm not sure if it is related to too many layers being uploaded at once, transparency or other settings or what, but there is something in the data that triggers this error that has nothing to do with the length of the path.

The work-around is to upload the data through the online interface, but of course, that is much more time-consuming.
0 Kudos
WillSchulte
New Contributor II
I've been getting the same error message when trying to publish a map service from an mxd onto ArcGIS Online.  The mxd only contains a raster dataset from a GDB.  I've tried shortening the path names, as is suggest in the help topic but I still can't get it to work.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Will
0 Kudos
RobWaller
New Contributor III
Got this error today as well, in my case is was low disk space on the machine that publishing from that caused the issue. Once freed up enough space it published.
0 Kudos
JosephSegretto__GISP
New Contributor III
I also received this error.  It was very frustrating.  I did some troubleshooting for a while trying to figure out what was going on.  I decided to try switching to the Advanced license and the error disappeared.  I was able to publish the tiled map service.
0 Kudos
WillSchulte
New Contributor II
I figured out I had the same problem as Rob.  The drive where my staging folder was located had low disk space so it wouldn't work.  I changed the location of the staging folder to a drive with more space and it worked. 

You can do this in desktop by clicking Customize  > ArcMap options > Sharing.  There it lets you choose the location of the staging folder.  I think it works best when the folder path is short so I just used F:/Temp and it published from then on.