PythonWin in ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1?

Jump to solution
07-31-2012 08:20 AM
MatthewStarry
New Contributor III
The documentation for 10.1 states that PythonWin is included in the ArcGIS installation media.  It appears that PythonWin is NOT included in the installation media that I have.

I have not yet upgraded to ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 yet but I am wondering if Python 2.6 pywin32-212 is compatible with Python 2.7.2?

Does esri (or anyone) recommend another IDE for Python?

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
IDLE comes with 10.1.  You can get pywin here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/files/pywin32/.  I believe the recommendation is to use the same version (2.7) as your python install.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
BrianDudek
Occasional Contributor
The little programming i have done, I do like pyScripter.

Pythonwin under Python27\ArcGIS10.1\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin folder.  I believe you need the same pywin version as the python version.
0 Kudos
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
IDLE comes with 10.1.  You can get pywin here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/files/pywin32/.  I believe the recommendation is to use the same version (2.7) as your python install.
0 Kudos
MatthewStarry
New Contributor III
The little programming i have done, I do like pyScripter.

Pythonwin under Python27\ArcGIS10.1\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin folder.  I believe you need the same pywin version as the python version.

I do not have this directory structure in my ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 install files.  I have a Python folder that contains matplotlib-1.1.0.win32-py2.7.exe, numpy-1.6.1-win32-superpack-python2.7.exe, python-2.7.2.msi.

I was used to searching out the pythonwin executable in the esri (ESRI) install files in previous versions or ArcGIS (for) Desktop.  PythonWin does not appear in the install files for ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 that I have.
0 Kudos
MatthewStarry
New Contributor III

Thanks. This looks like the way to go for me. There might be better IDEs but I've gotten used to PythonWin. I'm also aware that esri is not afraid to ditch things in their new releases... but there are usually workarounds 🙂
0 Kudos
DavidWynne
Esri Contributor
Hi Matthew,
The documentation for 10.1 states that PythonWin is included in the ArcGIS installation media.  It appears that PythonWin is NOT included in the installation media that I have.

That's an oversight in the documentation. PythonWin is not included in the installation media with ArcGIS 10.1.  If anyone is still interested in using PythonWin though see the page Writing Python scripts in the section 'Installing PythonWin' for steps on where to find, install it, etc. 

In terms of favorite IDEs, I experiment widely, but my tendencies usually bring me back to PyScripter.  Wing (and PyScripter) tends to be popular choices among many of my colleagues

-Dave
0 Kudos
DonnaRiebe
New Contributor III
I like pyScripter, but the random program freezing is making me crazy.  Waiting 5 - 10 minutes for the program to unlock when I haven't even done anything is annoying.

Donna Riebe
MT DNRC
0 Kudos
KimOllivier
Occasional Contributor III

So it's not just me! I find it freezes a lot for me too. I need to use Pyscripter for training, but am considering finding another for myself, maybe PyCharm.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I like Wing Python IDE for Python Developers - Wingware Python IDE      The "Wing ID 101" is free but I use the Pro (commercial Use since I work for a state agency) but there are other levels.   The developer/support team is very responsive, which is always nice. 

I also have used Brackets Brackets - The Free, Open Source Code Editor for the Web since I am using that for my JS and HTML, and it also has python as an option.   but typically that is just for quick fixes.

There are many nice IDEs so it's worth looking at a few (free ones) to see what works best.

0 Kudos