Flip direction of a line missing in ArcGIS 10

08-28-2012 12:37 PM
RonRiel
New Contributor II
The ArcGIS 10 help indicates that a User can flip the direction of a line by selecting a line, right-click and select Flip.  We do not see that option.  Here is a link to the ArcGIS 10 help - http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//001t00000031000000.htm

How does a User get to the Flip option in ArcGIS 10.

Thanks,

Ron Riel
Avista Utilities
(509) 495-8609
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi Ron,

You have to double-click the line to enter the vertex editing mode and not just select a line. I thought first that there could be a problem when having classic editing enabled, but I tested this in both environments, and it works fine.

Does you context menu look like this but misses the Flip option?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]17425[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
RonRiel
New Contributor II
Hi Ron,

You have to double-click the line to enter the vertex editing mode and not just select a line. I thought first that there could be a problem when having classic editing enabled, but I tested this in both environments, and it works fine.

Does you context menu look like this but misses the Flip option?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]17425[/ATTACH]

Thanks for  your response.  We do not get a right-click context menu even after double-clicking the line segment.  We do get the Edit Vertices toolbar, but Flip is not on that toolbar.  We got this behavior even after going into ArcMap without our custom code.  We tried right-clicking while hovering over the line, hovering over a vertex, and hovering away from the line.  We never get the context menu that you showed in your reply. 

What do we need to do to get this right-click context menu?

Thanks ... Ron
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi Ron,

This sounds strange, never seen this before. Not sure what you mean by "going into ArcMap without our custom code", though. Anyways, you should check if the Flip command is available in ArcMap. This can be done in several ways (try running whichever you'll find):

- in ArcToolbox, under the Editing Tools;
or
- Customize menu > Customize mode > Commands tab > Show commands containing - type in Flip > you'll find Flip under the Editor in the Categories list > drag and drop Flip command on some toolbar you have in ArcMap (for instance, Editor toolbar).

Sorry for asking again, just want to make sure that we are on track. You entered the editing mode (Editor > Start Editing) > used the Edit Tool by clicking its icon on the Editor toolbar, double-clicked the line feature > the line turned out green and a start and end vertices appeared. Now you right-click the line feature while having the mouse cursor either on a vertex or the edge, but don't get a context menu you need.

Out of curiousity, what type of context menu you get when you right-click the selected line feature in the editing mode? Do you get any?
0 Kudos
RonRiel
New Contributor II
We completely removed our custom application (registered as an AppExtension), and lo and behold, the right-click context menu appears, with the Flip option when it makes sense.  Our application is 1,000,000+ lines of code and we are not sure how we disabled the context menus.  Do you have any idea what the ArcObjects call is, or what event is being caught to disable them?  We are catching the IDocumentEvents_Event.OnContextMenu, but when we removed the code in this routine, it still did not fix the issue.

Thanks a bunch for helping us figure this out.
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Ron, glad you solved the problem. Please consider rating the thread as answered to make it easier for others.

Regarding ArcObjects, I can't really help you here since it's quite an advanced issue you have. Try posting a thread in ArcObjects forum or contact Esri Tech Support.

Cheers,
Alex
0 Kudos
FareedAbou-Haidar
New Contributor III
I have ArcGIS 10.1 SP 1. I recently started using the Flip command so my profile graphs go in the desired direction. Then it simply disappeared from the right-click contextual menu. Nothing had been done to my computer in the meantime, as far as I know. I did get a new computer with Windows 7, but that was several weeks before all this happened. I had to follow the advice in this thread (using Customize) to get it back into the Editor menu. Weird...
0 Kudos
ByronFoster2
New Contributor II

Also, make sure you are in an "Edit" session - right mouse click the layer>Edit Features>Start Editing. Then double click the line - right mouse click - then select Flip.

0 Kudos