Road centerline feature class in LGIM

09-06-2012 09:37 AM
Labels (1)
DavidKunz
New Contributor II
We are looking to migrate our road centerline feature class to the LGIM.  Currently we support 5 alternate names.  Two for local road names, and three for  generic highway (county, state, fed).  In LGIM it appears that it supports a fed name (and alternate), state name (and alternate) and county name. For the alternate name fields, it is appropriate to use the fields as the local road name?  Why are they specifically for state, fed?  What about a local name with an alternate? We have some roads that have two different state route names and a local name.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
ArcGISTeamLocalGov
New Contributor III
There is an alternate road name (alias) available in the MasterStreetName table.  You can populate an alternate local road name in this table and then populate the features with the appropriate road name and route.  The road centerlines have a primary and secondary route designation for each segment too.  So in theory, you could have a road segment with a primary road name, a road name alias,a primary and secondary federal and state route designation, and finally a county route designation. The Address Data Management video shows how the MasterStreetName table works in conjunction with the RoadCenterline and SiteAddressPoint feature classes.
0 Kudos
MichaelParma1
New Contributor III
So in theory, you could have a road segment with a primary road name, a road name alias,a primary and secondary federal and state route designation, and finally a county route designation.

Is it possible to have multiple local road name aliases without Federal, State, or county designation? (e.g. perhaps MLK, 19th St, and Old Main).

Thanks,
Mike
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor
Yes, there is a road name alias in the Master Street Name table.  You could use that field to track the alias.
0 Kudos
MichaelParma1
New Contributor III
Hi Scott,
I need a way to indicate multiple street aliases. The single alias field will only allow me one. Is there a related alias table that I'm missing, or plans to create one?

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor
Sorry, no plans to add a related table for road name aliases.  You could extend the master street name table to include the additional aliases or implement the related table as you suggest.

Scott
0 Kudos
ChristopherArd
New Contributor

Hey Scott.  New Orleans is now running into the same problem with multiple street name aliases.  I see there is no plan to include an alias table, so we're going to have to create our own as well.  Just thought you should know this is probably something everyone will need...especially the larger cities.

0 Kudos
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor

The Address Data Management solution currently allows you to store the following:

Local Street Name & Alias (MasterStreetName)

Federal Route & Alternate Federal Route (Road Centerline)

State Route & Alternate State Route (Road Centerline)

County Route (Road Centerline)

If you have additional aliases, you could add them to the MasterStreetName table or RoadCenterline layer. If you need to author locators with the alias info, I'd put them on the RoadCenterline layer.  If you're tracking them for historical purposes, you could probably just add them to the MasterStreetName table.

Christopher Ard​ - If you're willing to share the design you come up with for the street name alias, we'll see how to best incorporate in future releases of the Address Management solution.

0 Kudos
MichaelParma1
New Contributor III
Thanks, Scott.

One other thing. Will geocoding take advantage of the additional fields? For example, Main St (local name) is also know as Hwy XYZ. Can I search for 123 Main St or 123 Hwy XYZ and get the same result? I'm familiar with geocoding with alias tables but have not seen anything pertaining to geocoding with LGIM. Forgive me if it's documented somewhere already.

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
GIS-Cambria
Occasional Contributor II
@Mike I think a custom built geocoder can use alternate name tables if you include it in the design. You should be able to find information about building geocoders in help documentation.
0 Kudos