Why when I edit a polygon the shape area, etc does not update in the attribute table?

09-07-2012 09:58 AM
BrendaCervantes
New Contributor
I am editing some shapes that I have digitized by changing locations of the vertices.  When I make these edits it doesn't change my
data in the attribute table.  I am a student and working on an internship and would love to have some assistance!!!

These are polygons that are in a agricultural field and I am trying to get the polygons to be all the same area (.5 acre).  How do I update the attribute table to reflect the shape in the map???

Thanks
Brenda
0 Kudos
7 Replies
ChristopherBlinn1
Occasional Contributor III
You can Calculate Geometry on the field by right-clicking the column head, selecting Calculate Geometry, and then configuring the units and coordinate system.
0 Kudos
BrendaCervantes
New Contributor
Thanks Christopher
I will give this a go today.  I have not used the Calculate Geometry before so it will be a new adventure!
Thanks
Brenda
0 Kudos
AnneKuellig
New Contributor
You can Calculate Geometry on the field by right-clicking the column head, selecting Calculate Geometry, and then configuring the units and coordinate system.

I have the same problem... I calculated area, perimeter etc. via the "calculate geometry" field and added other colums that use the values from area and perimeter. If I cut a polygon my table doesn´t refresh... I can easily update the calculated area but do I really need to type in the formulas for the other colums again since the data doesn´t seem to refresh? Reload cache doesn´t do anything either.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Best regards,
Anne
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
For automation, I would recommend attribute assistant.
0 Kudos
AnneKuellig
New Contributor
Hello Tim,
thanks for your reply. I will give it a shot, the attribute assistant functions are still disabled in my programm but I hope I can figure this out.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Anne,

I have written an article about it for the ArcUser magazine, if you need some pointers.

Tim
0 Kudos
AnneKuellig
New Contributor
It´s me again... I installed the add-in package via add-in manager but the functions are disabled. What am I doing wrong?

Just saw your latest post, I will have a look at the article first.
0 Kudos