$SDEHOME/temp is full

09-11-2012 12:25 PM
ArinStark
New Contributor II
I have many enterprise SDE connections that recently stopped working.  When I try to connect, I get a message reading "Failed to connect to database.  Temporary file I/O error -- possibly $SDEHOME/temp is full."  This is on my local desktop, not the SDE servers.   I am still able to connect to some SDEs.  

Details:  Am using ArcInfo 9.3.1.  The connections are all direct, but otherwise no consistent similarities.  Some are Oracle, some SQL Server; some are Windows-authenticated, others contain names/passwords.  The very few connections that still work are also varied.  And I seem to be the only user in the group having this problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
The SDEHOME for a Direct Connect connection is on the client (usually the ArcGIS install directory).
Check for permission issues on any "temp" directories in your install.

- V
0 Kudos
ArinStark
New Contributor II
Thanks for the suggestion.  I expanded permissions on any "Temp" directory I could find.  There is no "SDEHOME" environment variable set on my local machine.  Still having the problem.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I've never heard of this problem before, so it's probably pretty rare.  You'll probably
need to work with Tech Support, but first try a re-install of ArcGIS Desktop.

- V
0 Kudos
ArinStark
New Contributor II
Unfortunately, a complete re-install from scratch didn't fix the problem either.  But I do appreciate your time and suggestions.
0 Kudos
EricSonger
New Contributor II
I had this same problem. I had changed my $TEMP system variable to C:\temp from the default location. When I changed it back to the stupid Microsoft location my SDE connection worked fine.

Talk about chasing your tail for no benefit.

At least I didn't re-install...

-Eric
0 Kudos
ClaudioSantos
New Contributor

I got this error, add full control for all user on $SDEHOME and I got the same error.

Then I check if the user that run the service that start the program using arcobjects code, then I see that the user who has the permission to run this service was deleted.

Then I change for an user that exist and had permission and works fine.

Soooo... as usually the message error could betray you.

0 Kudos
BrendanBladdick3
Esri Contributor

When trying to connect to a database in ArcCatalog or ArcMap, a user gets this error: "Failed to connect to database. Temporary file I/O error -- possibly $SDEHOME/temp is full"

This is due to the temp folder being full

Solution:

Set the Windows Environmental Variables to "c:\temp" then logged out and logged back in and the connection was successful (see screenshot)