Subtypes in the Local Government Data Model

09-13-2012 09:37 AM
Labels (1)
DaytonPoff
New Contributor III
Some older utility data models made use (heavily I might add) of subtypes for individual feature classes. Does anyone have any idea why the Local Government Data Model does not follow this standard?

For example the swDischargePoint Feature class in the Stormwater dataset has a field for DISCHRGTYP which is assigned the piDischargePointType domain. Would it not have been easier to use the subtype functionality for all of these Discharge Point Types?

I would appreciate any comments (especially from the local government team).

Thanks,
Dayton
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarcelaRondon
Occasional Contributor

did you ever find the reason?

i am currently trying to enhance a model for water utilities, i considered the creation of subtypes for some attributes (such as valve type or junction type) in order to use the connectivity rules, but i don't have the Data Reviewer extension so now i don't know if it's worth the effort. what benefits can i get by creating the subtypes?...can you shine a light on me?

0 Kudos
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor

Several years back, we removed the subtypes from the model to simplify its implementation and use.  We typically only use subtypes in the Information Model to control network connectivity or topology more specifically; or to define domains for specific feature types.  What we found was that while this was in the original utility models, it wasn't used in daily practice and as such added a level of complexity that wasn't needed by most utilities.  We removed the use of subtypes in the model and instead provided a complete solution for utility network editing that includes a simple information model, focused editing map, and a set of editing tools that optimize the workflow.