Popups in AGOL

09-14-2012 07:12 AM
SriniVasan1
New Contributor
Hello:

I am sure you have seen this question a few times before.  Some of the previous replies appear to imply that if you publish something as a hosted tiled map service, then one cannot click a point to view the attributes through a popup.  True?  In order for popups to display then it must be published as a web map (feature service) with restrictions of 1000 features or less.  Also true?  I have a shp file with 12000+ features, so I had to publish it as a tiled service.  The points are displayed correctly. It let me configure pop ups allowing me to display only the fields I want and click "Done with configuring pop ups" but when I click on a point, a small popup up window appears with "Searching..." and after a while returns the message "No information available."  Is it because there are too many records to search through or too many attributes?  Is there a way to overcome this issue?  If someone could help me with a simple solution without having to write scripts, that would be much appreciated.  Good day!
PS-I am using 10.1 and HTML popup configuration displays the popup correctly on 10.1 ArcMap Desktop
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
You won't be able to display popups from only a map service.  It sounds as if you have an organizational account, which will allow you to upload feature services with more than 1000 points.  If you had published both the feature service and map service together at the same time, you can display popups in the map service because the link is there to the features through the feature service.  Since you published them separately, you can create a hosted feature service with all of your points and then enable popups for the map service, choosing to draw the feature information from your hosted feature service.  Check this resource here, and scroll to the bottom of the page.
0 Kudos
SriniVasan1
New Contributor
You won't be able to display popups from only a map service.  It sounds as if you have an organizational account, which will allow you to upload feature services with more than 1000 points.  If you had published both the feature service and map service together at the same time, you can display popups in the map service because the link is there to the features through the feature service.  Since you published them separately, you can create a hosted feature service with all of your points and then enable popups for the map service, choosing to draw the feature information from your hosted feature service.  Check this resource here, and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Thank you.  Yes I have an Organization account.  It still will not let me upload a zipped folder containing the shp file (shp,shz,dbf and prj) if it contains more than 1000 features.  Thus, I was forced to upload and publish as a tiled map service.  Did I do something wrong?  Once in ArcGIS Online, I am unable to display the popups, although I go through the motions of configuring popups and when I click "Done configuring popups" it does not display the popup attributes when the cursor is clicked on a point.
A step by step instruction of how to start with a shp file of more than 1000 features, upload to AGOL and configuring to display popup attributes will be much helpful
Thank you.
S
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
A subscription does not allow you to load a shapefile with more than 1000 features into a web map. Instead, it allows you to create map and feature services that represent your data that you then reference in your web map.  This thread helps explain the 1000 feature limit.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/62176-Who-can-make-this-ESRI-S-reply-simple-and-easy-to-understand

Hosted tiled map services do not support popups directly because the tiles are just "dumb" images. However, if you published your data from ArcMap and at the same time also enabled "Feature access" capability, this will publish both a hosted tiled map service and a feature service. Because the feature service has the attribute information, when you add the tiled map service to your web map, the system will automatically use the corresponding feature service when you enable popup information.

If, however, you did not publish your map and feature service simultaneously, when you configure popups in the web map, you can configure the popup to point to any feature service (of course, it really should reference the same data as your tiled map service).

thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
SriniVasan1
New Contributor
Thank you very much Mike.  In the meanwhile before I got your reply I tried exactly what you had suggested as a test case from ArcMap 10.1 with 1501 features and it worked!
Good day
S
0 Kudos
JanetBrewster
Occasional Contributor II
mikem;233100 wrote:

Hosted tiled map services do not support popups directly because the tiles are just "dumb" images. However, if you published your data from ArcMap and at the same time also enabled "Feature access" capability, this will publish both a hosted tiled map service and a feature service. Because the feature service has the attribute information, when you add the tiled map service to your web map, the system will automatically use the corresponding feature service when you enable popup information.

Mike,
I published both a tiled map service and a feature service at the same time, added the tiles to my AGOL map, but still no popups  (when I click the dropdown next to the layer name in Contents, there's no popup option). Am I missing something?
Thanks -
Janet
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Janet,

Did you publish from ArcGIS for Desktop and enable feature access during the publishing? This workflow creates both the tiles and features at the same time and establishes a relationship between the two. Thus, when you add the tiles to the map, the system knows about the features and uses them for popups.

If you published the two items separately, then there is no automatic relationship set up. From the Map Viewer, if you add the tiles layer, you can enable popups and point to the features.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JanetBrewster
Mike,
I published them at the same time -- checked both boxes, feature access and tiled map service. Is there some way, i.e. within properties, that I can tell whether or not a relationship has been set up?

Thanks -
Janet
0 Kudos
JanetBrewster
Okay, found what I was missing. In the legend, I was looking at the layer as it came in in the Contents, and clicking the dropdown next to it. However, if you expand the layer, there's another one beneath, and I was able to configure the pop-up on THAT one....
0 Kudos