Hyperlinks in ArcGIS Explorer

05-21-2010 02:17 PM
srikanthmatta
New Contributor
Hello
I have created a feature class in a geodatabase. and for each feature I defined a hyperlink (eg. C:\xyz\abc.pdf).  It works fine in ArcMap. But when I add this to ArcGIS explorer the path is popping up as just a string.  Is there something I am missing for the path to show up as hyperlink?

Thanks
Srikanth
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Srikanth,

You are not missing anything.  The popup window does not automatically show file paths as links. In the popup properties you could choose to "use the value of a field as popup content" to see the PDF file when you click the feature.

Keep in mind that anything you author that relies on a drive letter file path will only be useable on your computer, or another computer that duplicates the folder structure that you have on yours.

Mark
0 Kudos
shanybenj
New Contributor
Mark,

How can I set the hyperlinks for a parcels map to open PDF documents when the user clicks the features in ArcGis explorer?

Thanks,

Shany
0 Kudos
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III
Mark,

How can I set the hyperlinks for a parcels map to open PDF documents when the user clicks the features in ArcGis explorer?

Thanks,

Shany

I believe that you have to either begin your link with "file" as in:  "file:///C:/abc/xyz.pdf"
OR
Use the machine name: "\\yourmachinename\C$\abc\xyz.pdf"
That would also work for network shared drives -- so if your organization has a drive which everyone shares, you can store the document there and everyone could access it through ArcExplorer.

Thanks!
--Adam

EDIT:  I forgot one thing.  If you organize the documents into a clear filing structure, you can create a field in your parcels data and do a field calculation to get the link (in ArcMap).  In my situation, I have "sites" with a specific SiteID.  That attributes is in my point feature class.

Our shared drive would then contain a folder structure specifically for PDF documents related to those sites:  ...\SitePDF\[SiteID].pdf

So, if I had one PDF I wanted to show for each site and the name of the PDF was the SiteID, I would utilize the Field Calculator to populate my Links column.  The VB would read:

"\\myserverORmymachine\Drive$\SitePDF\" & [SiteID] & ".pdf"

...which would generate this:  \\myservername\Drive$\SitePDF\AD999.pdf
and would change for every Site in the Feature Class.
for example - the next one would be:  \\myservername\Drive$\SitePDF\AE001.pdf

Hope this helps!
--Adam
0 Kudos
RalphTibiletti
New Contributor
Hello
I have created a feature class in a geodatabase. and for each feature I defined a hyperlink (eg. C:\xyz\abc.pdf).  It works fine in ArcMap. But when I add this to ArcGIS explorer the path is popping up as just a string.  Is there something I am missing for the path to show up as hyperlink?

Thanks
Srikanth

I have had that problem if I have "  " marks enclosing the path.  When I removed them it worked fine.

R.T.
0 Kudos