ArcObjects SDK for Microsoft .NET Framework - Visual Studio 2012

09-14-2012 12:12 PM
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
I am building a new machine with Windows 8 and Visual Studio 2012.

I want to install "ArcObjects SDK for Microsoft .NET Framework" but it refuses to install because it is looking for Visual Studio 2010 (which I don't want to install).

I understand that 10.1 does not yet support Visual Studio 2012 (or Windows 8).  Just wondering if there is some way that I can get this to install without having to install Visual Studio 2010?  I don't really care about the various Visual Studio templates/wizards, i.e. I know that that won't work.

One thing that I could to is to simply XCopy the files from another machine.
0 Kudos
28 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
JohnHauck
Occasional Contributor II
I know this is kind of a lame suggestion but maybe you could install VS2010 Express along with VS 2012 and then install the SDK and remove the express version if you don't want it. But definitely working in "unsupported" territory.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
We did install the SDK without VS2010 Express.
Just add the registry key  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\InstallDir (REG_SZ) with the value "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\" and start the setup for the SDK.

You will see a folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\DeveloperKit10.1\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0" (assuming a default ArcGIS 10.1 installation). There you will find the templates, snippets and xml schemas. Just copy these to the corresponding folders of the VS 2012 installation.
The snippets should be registrated in the SnippetsIndex.xml.

Most things seem to work fine with VS 2012, but we have troubles to build Addins:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]18317[/ATTACH]

Has anybody made the same experience? There seems to be a hard dependency on the very old version 2.0.0.0 of the Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.9.0.dll.
VS 2012 does not support this old version.

It would be very, very nice if ESRI would support VS 2012.
0 Kudos
BoyanBatchvarov
New Contributor
I created a simple test add-in in VS 2010 and moved the solution to VS 2012, targeting .Net 4.5.

The first issue I have is that VS 2012 can't find the ArcGISAddInHostGenerator, so editing the .esriaddinx doesn't reflect on the designer.cs.

An other one concerned the  <AddIn language="CLR4.0"... /> attribute. If left to "CLR4.5" the add-in is recognized by the arcmap add-ins manager, but the main toolbar doesn't show. If left to just "CLR", the toolbar is visible but the commands display a "Missing" caption. If left to "CLR4.0", the add-in actually runs fine.

Then I tried to move an existing arcgis 10 add-in to arcgis 10.1, VS 2012 and .net 4.5, but I can't get it to work. If I leave the language attribute to "CLR4.0", the add-in compiles but arcmap crashes upon startup.

Can anyone that has gone through this share some light?

Thanks

Edit: I'd forgotten to uncomment <supportedRuntime version="v4.0.30319"/> in arcmap.exe.config. Now I fixed some errors and the add-in works. Only problem that remains is the missing ArcGISAddInHostGenerator
0 Kudos
JohnHauck
Occasional Contributor II
We are working on adding support for Visual Studio 2012. More information about this will be made available in the coming months.
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
John,

I appreciate the reply but telling us that more information will become available in the coming months is not very helpful.

Why is it a secret?  Could you share your plans so that we can plan?

I think that there are couple of issues here. 

The first issue, and the one that I care most about, is using Visual Studio 2012 in conjunction with the .NET 4.0 framework.  If the answer is that it is going to take months to support this then that is unacceptable.

The other issue is support of the .NET 4.5 framework.  This issue is probably tougher because the .NET 4.5 framework does not support XP amongst other issues.

Richard
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
Update: now arcgis 10.1 sp1 supports windows 8 & windows server 2012
http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/11/01/arcgis-10-1-and-windows-8/

but vs2012 isn't supported yet
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/system-requirements/10.1/index.html#/ArcObjects_SDK_10_1/0151000...

I agree with Richard "... share your plans so that we can plan ..."
0 Kudos
JeffJacobson
Occasional Contributor III
You guys will probably want to promote the Visual Studio 2012 integration idea on the ArcGIS Ideas site.
0 Kudos
ToddMacPherson1
New Contributor
What hair I have left I am pulling out. Crystal Reports support for VS 2012 was supposed to be out Q4 2012 now late Q1 2013 and now this. I have a small fortune invested in software and can't work because there is no support from vendors for VS 2012.

I may become an alcoholic drinking beer waiting for this to materialize.
0 Kudos