Error on Start Editing Event

09-19-2012 08:17 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I keep getting this error when I start editing:

Error on Start Editing Event: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

This is an odd error, I am still able to make and save edits even with this warning.  I am using ArcGIS 10.1 and also the Attribute Assistant Add-In, although at the moment it is disabled, probably because I'm editing a shapefile on its way to a geodatabase.  This is not the first time this has happened though, it has happened in a geodatabase as well with the add in enabled. 

This appears to be a bug but I wondered if anyone else had this issue, I need to figure out if it is the feature class or if it is the add in.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
4 Replies
LoriBeidler
New Contributor
Have you had any resolution to this error?  I too keep getting it when editing a shapefile.  I'm now using 10.1 and Attribute Assistant but I was experiencing the same message when using 10.0.2.
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
Nope, I don't always get it.  Seems that shapefiles tend to cause more issues that geodatabases though.  I occaisonally use shapefile for one time, quick projects.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
DarrenPlatakis
New Contributor II
I had the same problem until I started doing this...

I do a lot of copy/paste from an assessment layer to a development application layer.

Enter the edit session as you would normally and choose the layer to edit.

(Now I'm going to give the steps for what I do but I would imagine they can be modified for what you do) (See graphic attached as well)

1. Click on parcel that I want to copy and right click "copy"
2. Right click "paste" - The paste popup window appears to select the target layer. Choose target layer. Click OK.
3. There may be a "Create Features" window on the right. If not click on the icon to open it.
4. Click on the layer listed there.
5. This populates the "Construction Tools" portion of the window.

I found that if I didn't click on the layer in the "Create Features" window I would always get the error. That is because you need to be using a "Construction Tool" in order to do any editing.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
When this happens to me, the error comes up immediately after I select the layer and enter the editing session.  Like I said it hasn't happened in a while.  I also seem to remember it happening only with shapefiles.  It may have just been a quick glitch although it did happen multiple times.  If I see it again, I will post about it and exactly what I was doing when it happened.  I know Esri Support would want this sort of info anyways.  I've also updated the Attribute Assistant Add-In and Water Utilities toolbar add ins since then and I don't recall any issues like this since then.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos